• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winter front/grille blocker for XJ/MJ?

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
Just curious if anybody knows of a place that sells winter fronts/grille covers for Cherokee's and Comanche's?

Even running a new OEM thermostat, electric fans (not running), 50/50 coolant mix and a 3 core all metal CSF radiator, the XJ really runs cool above 35mph or so here when it has been in the negative teens here lately.

This ultra cold weather is actually a first as it hasn't been this cold in years....something like 13 or more years....regardless I was wishing that I had a winter front to keep the motor a bit warmer, as well as myself. Actually I wasn't too worried about the motor running too cold but the heat in the XJ was only moderately hot with the motor running cool like it is.

I guess my cooling system is too efficient for -20 (it was seriously that cold out without windchill)

I know there are plenty of manufacturers and dealerships that make/sell winter fronts for HD trucks and such, but I was wondering if there was a company or a place where I could buy a winter front specifically made for a Cherokee or Comanche.

If not I will probably just make my own and keep it around for those really cold days.

I won't use cardboard so don't suggest that :)

Thanks.

could try putting an annular piece of cutting board in the upper rad hose. I have been wondering if that could help out. Basically cut a ring of HDPE cutting board the size of the upper radiator inlet (so it will not go in but still will fit in the hose). Then drill another hole in the center 5/8" or so. It should restrict the flow from the motor to the radiator keeping the warm fluid in the motor longer.

I am not sure if the effect would be to allow the antifreeze to absorb more heat and thus transfer it to the radiator and cause you to run cooler though. I think it will come down to what size hole you drill.

Just a thought if you wanted to be a guinea pig for the rest of the board it could be interesting. Otherwise I guess there is always cardboard...

Last edited:
I see the FIA one, but the one specifically for XJ's (not the universal) is around $60.

A bit too much I think, although as a last resort maybe I'd buy it. I'll probably search around for materials and such to use. Going to see if I can find a sign shop that had some black vinyl sign material around. Then I could have my grandmother sew the edges flapped over and maybe add some of those brass "hole" things which would act as mounting points. Not sure how I would make the center of it so it could open 4 flaps into a diamond pattern.

I guess just cut out a cross maybe and perhaps use some velcro to keep the flaps tied back and if I wanted to close the flaps maybe some zipties or something to keep all of the flaps attached to eachother in tight formation?

Also it would have to be something infront of the grille, not behind it between the grille and the condensor. I run a pushbumper so removing the grille is impossible without removing the pushbumper.

well last year I got two of them and let me just say that they were worth it. Oh and its not just a winter cover you get there. It also has a bug screen. Great for keeping gravel outta your grill. Up here you need something to protect your grill when you are on any of the roads since they are gravel once you get away from town.

A Beer box zip-tied to the grill works too

I don't have any problem with gravel.

I was at harbor freight this afternoon looking at the tarps and those brass "eyes" that you can mount in the tarp. Tarp might be a bit to "flappy" and not rigid enough, although I'm sure it would do the job.

A Beer box zip-tied to the grill works too
doing some winter wheelin last year, overheated from ice/snow buildup on the grille/ rad, ended up duct taping a beer box to the front.
I have a peice of coruplast I jam between the winch and the grill. seems to do the job.

What were you busting through 5 foot drifts with the XJ? And shouldnt it have melted if you were running that hot?

Not always... up here its not uncommon for your antifreeze to freeze in the block while its running and cause you to overheat when they clog up... of course thats when its -40 to -60

What were you busting through 5 foot drifts with the XJ? And shouldnt it have melted if you were running that hot?
light fluffly snow up to bumper height, it just blocked the rad and froze. once we stopped and made sure the surge bottle wasnt going to explode the ice started falling off, then beer box time.

A friend stuck a piece of cardboard between my pushbumper and grille today as a joke.

Hm.

there you go, problem solved.

if your worried about astetics, put the cardboard behind the grill infront of the rad and spraypaint it black.

Did I mention that I cannot remove the grill without removing the pushbumper.

And that wouldn't be a quick solution anyway to "fine tune" and tweak the size of the covering for optimal temperature and airflow.

No need to remove the grille. Open the hood and slide the cardboard in there.
As for 'fine tune' ability, that's easy. Make it too big. Go for a drive. When/if the heep starts to overheat, pull cardboard an cut a small strip off of one end with your utility knife (you do have one in your heep right?). Drive some more. Repeat until overheat condition goes away.
Alternatively, you could make a piece large enough to cover the entire rad and punch holes in it that would leave about 1/2 of the rad exposed. Use a piece of 1" copper pipe w/a cap on one end and a small hammer to punch the holes. A block of wood (4x4 or larger), grain up, will prevent dulling of the pipe/punch when placed under cardboard. A layer of fiberglass resin followed by some black paint will keep it from looking like a beer box and give it some rigidity/water resistance.
Hmm...I may have to try that next weekend

that 3 row radiator isn't doing you any favors.

cover up the front, just keep an eye on your temps

yeah no joke all I know is that my grill cover that I bought is plenty good, I can vent it when I need to and it doesn't look all that bad.
People have called it a bra before

Back