• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another dead Jeep thread......

tranquileman

NAXJA Forum User
.....the story so far.....
My 89 XJ w/4.0 was running really rich, like leaving a litteral carbon foot print from the tail pipe!, but it was running. We had a cold snap in the middle of December and it hasn't started since then.
I am new to the whole Jeep thing and am still wondering if my old 78 Ford 2wd with a 300 6 and 4 spd isn't the better option because its so simple to fix.
After searching the net for a month, trying this, trying that, it is still plugging up my carport.
It has spark, fuel, and a new battery. When I turn it over it seems like it wants to start but just doesn't "catch". When i disconnect various sensors it just cranks without tring to go at all. Its getting the obligatory 5 volts to the various sensor plugs so its not the ECU, thank God.
We bought this thing for winter survival because we're 3 miles from the main road, and 15 miles from the nearest town, in the mountains of British Columbia, so if any of you Jeep experts have any ideas, we're all ears, so to speak.........

If you got fuel and spark, it should start. Unless...not enough fuel. Check for PSI at the fuel rail (30-40 PSI).

Is it turning over fast enough? I think the Renix motor needs 300rpm to to start.

Thanks for the reply MD.

Yep.......we just bought a new battery so its cranking plenty fast.

As for fuel pressure, can it be checked if the engine isn't running?

I was on another site and it gave all the specs for 4.0's sensors. We checked every one of them and the coolant temp sensor had no reading at all. We may be on to something here...........

Yes the fuel pressure can be checked even when not running. Just turn the key to 'run' with the gauge hooked up.

Ok then, we just got Jerry Rig to make up a pressure tester and ass-u-ming that the gauge works, there's no fuel pressure. Hence, fuel pump......

98xj, nope, it's not the rotor.

:doh: doh, eeelectric fool pump, um, uh, yeeah........

We'll be crawling under it tomorrow to see what we can find.

Thanks for your help guys......

um your fuel pump is in the tank itself.
pm me your email and I will send you the renix manual.

Clarification: 89XJ or 98XJ??

Your first post said 89, second post said 98.

Stihl029 wants to email you a Renix manual, which is good for the 89. Just thought you might want the correct info.

Sorry all, life's great been since dyslexia was my cured..........

And a big thank you to Stihl029 for the manual.

I've been sitting in the house reading it, looking outside at the frozen wasteland and dead jeep in the carport. I'm thinkin it'll probably start when it warms up again..........

why start in May, you can put on your carhartts and grab your multimeter and have in on the road quicker. LOL I am inside too getting ready to head out and find some keys and a cell phone I lost last week while on a recovery. good luck and let us know what else you find out also for good refference is the renix files thread.

The most likely thing is that you flooded it and wet soaked the plugs. Get a cheap set of standard Champions and put them in. I've seen this dozens of times.

the story so far.........

We removed all of the sparkers and they're fine. Lots of spark to all of them.
We traced the problem down, the fuel pump works when we hotwired it but not when the ignition is turned on. So,,,,,the problem is somewhere in the fuel pump electrics. The relay isn't getting any power. All of the fusible links from the started solenoid are ok.
Somewhere in that jumble of wires is the solution, but I'ma donna hava clue where.
Is there a fuse or circuit breaker in some odd location that we haven't discovered yet?

The wifey says it needs a "flame job", hmmmm, it's tempting.........

ok the power is electrically the same as Diagonistc Connector 1 pin 5 (D1-5). That is the power from the battery that is switched on or off for the pump. Power for the relay is on the yellow wire which can be tested at D2-4. If you computer fried like mine had many moons ago you are not getting the ground from the ECU. you should check D1-6 that is voltage from the Relay to the fuel pump. I'm gonna send you the schematic back channel.

Back