• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix issues. Running rich?

NW-ZJ-SCOTT

TEXAS-JT-SCOTT
NAXJA Member
To start out, I have an 89 that i use just to wheel,
Well its had its issues, but this one stumps me, The exhaust has been falling apart, and as of right now, the exhaust goes as far back as a foot past the Cat.

My plans were to just have a new system installed manifold to tailpipe, replace it all.

The manifold has a large hole in it.

3 months ago, i was out wheelin, and my cat got red hot,
i left it parked, and got it running yesterday for the first time in a while, and now when under acceleration, it shoots blue flames a good foot out of the pipe, then at idle will shoot sparks. Its running extremely rich, and i need to get this issue fixed before i throw a new exhaust on it.

My first thought, is the O2 sensor may be fried, causing it to run this way.

Is there anything else i could adjust?
Some other symptoms include,
Runs really rough. idles between 200rpm and 800rpm
It will stall out if you rev it up and then let it return to idle too quickly
little videos, to show how rough it runs.

How about a video of the blue flame? :laugh3:

Does the flame shoot right at your gas tank, since your exhaust is short? Sounds scary.

The hole in your manifold is causing it to be rich(assuming the hole is above the o2 sensor). Which means your o2 sensor is working...sensing to much air coming in the exhaust and the ecm is adjusting by making the mixture rich.

My plans were to just have a new system installed manifold to tailpipe, replace it all.

That should fix it.

Edit: Mine sounded alot like that when my MAP sensor kicked the bucket.

Last edited:
MAP, Air Charge Temp Sensor, O2 sensors in that order.

Confucius say: You no fixee manifold first, you wastee time on other things!

:eyes:

Ok so,

Whole new exhaust (inevitable)
o2 sensor

and possibly a MAP
and Air temp sensor, (never knew the Renix had one)

Fix the manifold, and the other items may be alright.

Someone posted on here about sanding the O2 sensor, don't know it that would work but supposedly the Aussies do it all the time.

Anyway, fix the manifold first, then check the system one step at a time.

:eyes:

Fix the manifold first Then start testing sensors. Emissions problems can be a number of things. I found that out the hard way. I found that if one sensor is bad it creates a downward spiral effect. If one is bad it in turns makes everyhting else seem bad too. Fix the manifold first then check everthing else. Then check the silly things like any little vacuum leak. Charcoal canister too.

The hole in your manifold is causing it to be rich(assuming the hole is above the o2 sensor). Which means your o2 sensor is working...sensing to much air coming in the exhaust and the ecm is adjusting by making the mixture

I agree, you have to fix this hole. Air entering the exhaust or the intake other than the TB will cause a rich mixture.

and Air temp sensor, (never knew the Renix had one)

Yes! It is at the rear of the intake and has a 2 wire lead coming from it. They rarely go bad but anything is possible.

The coolant temp sensor is below the intake on the block near the motor mount bracket and has a 2 wire lead and NycoPac connector(not fuel injector style connector, thats the Knock sensor)

Back