• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

intermittently not turning over (new starter/batt)

Charlie_B

NAXJA Forum User
First off, Ive done some searching, here and with google ("site:naxja.org").

The rig is a 1992 w/ the HO 4.0 and auto tranny. My g/f uses it as her daily driver. A few weeks ago it wouldnt turn over at her work (she works at sears). She had them check the battery, they gladly took my Optima red top and sold her a Sears battery. Thanks, right? About a week later we came back out of a store, and it wouldnt start. Walked home, got my car, tools, and floor jack; bought a starter, go to install it in the parking lot. Just for the heck of it, I tried to start it, fired right up. I drove it home and replaced the starter, thinking that the solenoid may just be on the way out. It WAS 16 years old.

Today, it was -20 deg this morning. It wouldnt start. No heater on it at the moment, going to get something today. I had her put a electric heater in front of it for about 30 min. Then it started. I get home, shut it off, and it wont start back up. 15 min later, it fires right up.

Am I looking at a nuetral safety switch? I cant get it NOT to start right now to test it in nuetral. The past few times, the voltmeter shows ~12v, all buzzers, everything looks fine, just not turning over. Does it sound like a bad solenoid? All the electrical connections look fine, but I havent put the voltmeter to it. It is still hovering around 0 right now, so my time in the driveway is limited.

The starter/solenoid I put in were Napa products.

TIA
-Charlie

Hallo '92 Jeeper, Battery,batterycables,fuses, ignition switch,starterrelay and NSS. To test that in one time,you have to connect the pin#30 and#87 of the starterrelay with a bridge (jump) wire. The startmotor will start if everything is ok with the starter,and there is a problem with the other parts.:yelclap:
You can let spin the startmotor with connecting the big contacts on the solenoid. For the big current use a screwdriver!

see diagram:

'92 XJ

Last edited:
Back