• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Unusual knocking noise from tranny??

Beatjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and found threads for the 4wd shift linkage issues but my jeep doesn't create this knocking noise in the same way.

Here is the issue - I just bought a 97 2 door 5 speed stock and other than this noise, it runs like a top. When I am at idle, I cant hear the noise at all. If i bring the RPMS up a bit, the noise appears and it sounds like a knocking noise somewhere from the tranny tunnel. I cant exactly figure out where but almost under my dash. If I put it in first and start to drive it still knocks as the rpms climb and then goes away as I put it into 2nd.

Any ideas here?

There are threads concerning noises when accelerating from a stop. I believe general consensus is likely loose muffler components or worn transmission mount or at least these are the first things to check. I get a sort of rattling sound with a brisk acceleration but have never really worried about it since there are no other symptoms.

I'm sure others will add to this.

Its not even from accelerating though. At idle, I cant hear it. Put the car in neutral and bring the rpms up a little bit and the knocking comes on...

I found plenty of posts regarding a tick at idle, but nothing with the same symptoms as this.

when ever i had an exhaust rattle with my 89 5 sp, it was at idle or when i increased the rpms in neutral. this is because ther is no load on the drivetrain.

usually its from a worn trans mount or the exhaust is hitting the top of the cross member.

how about crawling underneath while at idle to isolate where the noise is coming from?

i am going through the same issue right now...i took it to my trusted mechanic and he said its more than likely the bearings inside. i already know my lil ba10 is on its last leg cuz the synchros a going bad too. he said something about the only thing thats always moving is the shaft or around the shaft thats causing it = something to do with bearings??? i dunno...basically i shut down with listening to him at that point cuz i knew i was in for a tranny swap no matter what lol. but the general gist of the whole thing was its a bearing issue..i can tell you more this weekend when i do the swap and get it out and torn apart....

Back