• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aux Guages

BLSXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Come Spring I plan on adding a tranny cooler and Temp guage. I tow 2000lbs, long distance, on a regular basis.

I'd like to keep a "OEM" look to my dash so I was thinking about mounting the temp guage in a A-piller pod. I found a 2 guage pod was about the same price.

So what "extra" guages have you installed?

I was thinking about maybe a outside temp. guage would be handy, (know when to worry about ice.)

I've heard a Air/fuel guage is just a light show.

OEM guages
Speedo
Tach
Volts
water Temp
Oil Pressure
Gas level

two kinds of air/fuel ratio gauges, the 'narrow band' type, which isnt sophisticated enough for anything beyond a light show, then theres the 'wide band' type, which are more expensive, but actually usefull if your into engine tuning.... the narrow band just isnt sensitive enough (and cannot read the high ends of the spectrum, imagine a fuel level gauge thats not accurate except between 1/4 tank and 3/4 tank. not very usefull...)

your profile says youve got a 91, and i know for a fact the oil pressure and voltage gauges on my 90 are basically useless theyre so inaccurate, so i would start there myself..

oh, and of course a trans temp gauge if youve got an auto...

a lot of those 'extras' arent really extra at all.. do you have the factory idiot gauge cluster? if so.. get that XXX outta there, its a lot easier then you think

Last edited by a moderator:
my current xj is a 99 4.0L, Aw4, 242, d30/chy. 8.25

I'm leaning towards the outside temp guage because it seams the most usefull. When it drops bellow 33 I adjust my driving style in case of ice.

The other guage will be a tranny temp guage, to monitor tranny temp, if it gets to hot, back off a bit.

I can't see how usefull air/fuel or oil temp is. because unless your running a differnt ECM you really have no control of either of those.

please correct me If I'm wrong

I´ll install two temp.gauges, one for the engine oil and one for the tranny.

Or, if it's a two-gage pod and one spot is occupied, you could always wire two sensors on a "changeover" toggle to drive a single gage - switch UP, say, for transmission and DOWN for engine.

Then have the "Ice Warning" gage in the other pod.

Where would you mount the Oil Temp Sender?

I am building a custom gauge cluster and will have oil pressure and Oil Temp. But not sure where to mount the Oil Temp Sender.

To the OP just because its over 33 does not mean there cant and wont be ice on the road. I think getting a 30 dollar temp for your house and looking at that as you leave would be better. Water temp, Trans Temp, all the gauges you cant really do any thing about it except to change your driving or turn the car off to keep the engine from catastrophic failure.

I have an aftermarket boost gauge in my YJ and a wideband 02 gauge also. i put a oil pressure gauge in my XJ because i do not trust the factory gauge and with 212k on the clock I like to keep a close eye on it.

Back