• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

blowing fuses need HELP

jeep40driver

NAXJA Forum User
This is on a 00 I've done alot of searching coming up with nothing. Now from the begining there was a few days I would be driving home and my horn would beep on its own every now and then became more consistant every day.
Then one night I just unplugged the wires from the 2 horns ( I'm a dumbass and shoulda just pulled the fuse) but anyhow a day or so later I begain smelled burning from the kick panel fuse box and that a bunch of fuses were blown.
found stuff that was not workin like all my gauges, powerlocks, overhead lights, turn signals plus the radio not working oh and the airbag light is on and keeps blowing both fuses. First thing I tried was to replace fuses but they keep blowing.
I have a 3 day weekend coming up and an inpection due end of Feb so I need to move on this quick.
I am not an electrical wiz so I really dont know what to look for other than the obvious
please give me some ideas so I can get started on this crap tmarrow.

Thank you in advace
nate

You need to pull the panels around the fuse box and look for burned wires. And look at the back of the fuse box to look for melted connectors. You probably have some wires melted together. If you are lucky, they'll be in the fuse box area. Seperate them and tape them back up or replace the burned wires depending on how bad they are.

I have everything ready to look at it I even pulled pass seat for some extra room. So then I will have to locate the source of my problems any ideas? bad ground or short somewhere what do you think.

nate

I have everything ready to look at it I even pulled pass seat for some extra room. So then I will have to locate the source of my problems any ideas? bad ground or short somewhere what do you think.

nate

do you have a meter to check for voltage, resistence and continuity. if not you will need one.

oh, and what county is your middletown in? i think there is a middletown in a few counties in PA.

Melted together wires. By the way, don't use any of those Dollar Store cheepo fuses. On my car, the fuse only half blew when I had an issue. It kept making connection after it mostly melted. Took me a while to fix the wires and get the connector on the back of the fuse box to work good, because it melted a little too. If the fuse had blown cleanly, I would have had only one thing to fix.

heres what I found. any suggestions??
P1030172.jpg

Looks like cooked wires to me. I've never done it, but you have to pull off the box that's still mounted and see whatsup behind there. My guess is you need to go to the boneyard and get a new plug and box, but you might be able to jury-rig around it. You have to trace the wires as far away from this issue as you can to check for melted together wires. For a robust repair though, you need a new box and plug.

The problems could be limited to that area. Connectors like that are often a weak spot in the electrical system. I think you have a 60-70% chance that this is a localized issue. (But keep in mind that 80% of all statistics are made up.) Seriously though, the easiest thing is to fix what you see that's wrong and test it.

You said in your first post you had a problem with your horn. what you probably have is a broken wire in the steering column. When it started blowing all the time you pulled the horn wires, however the shorted steering column wire kept the horn relay locked in. the relay overheated causing the damage to the wiring & fuse block. You are going to have to find where the wire is grounded for the horn & fix that. The wire in the column is a ground wire that pulls the horn relay in which in turn sends power to the horns. I have to look at my 2000 XJ but I think one of the pictured relays in the fuse block is for the horn. I would try to find a fuse block in the junk yard with the plug & some wire length, before changing the plug & wire I would check that your present wires in the plug are not shorted & plug it into the new fuse block. You may luck out.

Last edited:
I ended up buying this Jeep from jeep40driver. What do you guys think Im looking at as far as parts that need replacing? What would the intial cause of the horn randomly blowing be? Ignition switch, clock spring? Ive got a line on a new fuse block and the wiring connectors Ill need but I dont want to melt another fuse block.

If you use high quality name brand fuses, they should blow instead of melting the fuse box. Make sure both boxes have good fuses, because I believe the fuses under the hood feed the ones inside the car. They should blow before anything melts. Especially if you take it all apart and clean the connections. Usually the heat in a connection is from being corroded or loose.

If your locks, gauges, lights, signals, radio, and airbag all fail at the same time, I'd guess the culprit is in the wiring feeding the fuse panel. I'd be looking for shorts before I'd worry about the fuse brands.

Make sure you don't have any water leaking in and getting into the fuse box. One of the local XJ's had numerous electrical and instrument panel problems that were finally traced to bad wires and a melted fuse box in the passenger foot well caused by water leakage. It turns out that this had happened before and the fuse box and some wires had already been replaced by a previous owner.

Fix the fuse box and melted wires, replace the horn relay, and locate and fix any water leaks.

Back