• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30 w/locrite..pops&snaps

azandy

NAXJA Forum User
94 XJ dana 30 with i believe is a locrite or could be a quick lock..
Anyway it is allways poping and snapping under load in 4x4
any ideas???:flame:

Does it pop while going straight? It will make noises while turning, just the nature of an auto locker.
If it pops while going straight under load, take the cover off and inspect it. I'd suspect broken sheer pins. How old is it?

Bought truck used, I've already been in the cover all looked good. works normally in 2 wheel drive but under load, straight and any incline pop...pop....pop like the locker is in and out...

ordered pin kit and heard thrust washer may have been left out??? going to pull apart this weekend just looking for more idears!!!!!!

I'll assume that you're not driving in 4WD on dry pavement. ;)

A bent housing or shaft will cause similar issues with a locker.

Could also be a stretched t-case chain skipping teeth on the sprockets. ;) "Under load in 4wd" is a good indicator of that...and feels like it's coming from the front end. Jack the front end up, put it in 4wd, and twist the front shaft back and forth with your hand. If you hear metal on metal inside the t-case, chances are your chain is stretched. I went through this shortly after installing a Lock Right in my first Jeep. Drove me nuts thinking it was in the front end. $65 later I had a new chain in and was good to go.

Not saying that's what is happening here, but it's something to check out.

Good point on the tcase chain ECKJAY, this problem does sound like it's coming from up front.

my chain is stretched, it makes the same noise.

i would check it out. fix it before it starts rubbing on the case, it will wear a groove in the case itself and weaken it.

Back