• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Currie vs. Dynatrac

BlueGerbil

NAXJA Forum User
After having canceled my „Project XJK“ (JK D44s, wheels and 241 into my XJ) I´ll be buying a D44 front axle.

I don´t want to cut axle tubes to narrow it, I don´t want to search the junk yards (there are almost no american cars on our junk yards in Germany), I just want to buy a D44 front axle made for a XJ. I don´t need a D60. I don’t want to keep my D30.

The plans for it are: 4.88, high pinion, ARB locker, 5x4.5”, chromoly axles, ARB diff cover.

I´ve narrowed it down to Dynatrac vs. Currie – just because that´s the only brandy I´ll get over here.

Who has experience with any of these axles? Any reason not to buy from these companies? Any other brands that are highly recomanded?

Thanks a lot!

Polyperformance has a Solid Axle Industries HP D44 for sale on pirate right now in the classifieds, maybe they would ship it over to you? Not really much help as I have not run any of the housings you mentioned, but NRT_Chris on here works for Currie so you may want to talk to him and see if he could hook you up.
good luck!

After having canceled my „Project XJK“ (JK D44s, wheels and 241 into my XJ) I´ll be buying a D44 front axle.

I don´t want to cut axle tubes to narrow it, I don´t want to search the junk yards (there are almost no american cars on our junk yards in Germany), I just want to buy a D44 front axle made for a XJ. I don´t need a D60. I don’t want to keep my D30.

The plans for it are: 4.88, high pinion, ARB locker, 5x4.5”, chromoly axles, ARB diff cover.

I´ve narrowed it down to Dynatrac vs. Currie – just because that´s the only brandy I´ll get over here.

Who has experience with any of these axles? Any reason not to buy from these companies? Any other brands that are highly recomanded?

Thanks a lot!

Ford, Or chevy, Or Dodge, Or what about Jeep, Or depends... is it to drive then maybe a Honda?

Its all the same. Big company with lots of orders, that sometimes will screw up and get the typical rave about how horrible they are... They all will break some day, they all with hold up to huge abuse if ordered right. and all are over priced...

Thanks a lot!

I told my brother (NRT_Chris) about this thread and he will be on here to give you his opinion. From what I know Dynatrac and Currie are both very reputable companies. At our shop we prefer to use Currie. For one they are around the corner from us, but mainly we know to be fact that they are a solid product and proven to be able to take a beating. In fact we just received 2 D44 housings for a J3000 restore and have ordered another one yesterday. In short I'll always go with Currie over Dynatrac.

Last edited:
man you know you can buy the jk44 front axle that is cut down and has the brackets to bolt into the front of your xj from mopar.

here is a quote... I hope the SPAM police dont get me!!!

* DANA 44 FRONT HSG W/YJ/TJ KNUCKLES......................................... 599.9500
* MASTER BEARING SET UP KIT- INC: BRG- SHIMS- HARDWARE AND SEAL 125.9500
* LABSRVC-SET UP LABOR ONLY .......................................................125.9500
* 4.89 RATIO STANDARD .................................................................299.9500
* 3.92 UP ARB AIR LOCKER ...............................................................899.9500
* SPICER 760X SERIES U-JOINT - EACH 24.9500 ...................................49.9
* PERFORMANCE OUTER AXLE - MUST SPECIFY SPLINE ........................477.34
* CURRIE PERF INNER AXLE ACCEPTS 760X U JOINT .............................359.9
* 1997-2006 TJ BRACKET SET- FRONT - NEW - MOUNTED ......................499.0000
* LABSRVC- ASSEMBLE REAREND - INSTALL AXLES & BRAKES ...................49.9500

Total before shipping : 3487.84

here is a quote... I hope the SPAM police dont get me!!!

* DANA 44 FRONT HSG W/YJ/TJ KNUCKLES......................................... 599.9500
* MASTER BEARING SET UP KIT- INC: BRG- SHIMS- HARDWARE AND SEAL 125.9500
* LABSRVC-SET UP LABOR ONLY .......................................................125.9500
* 4.89 RATIO STANDARD .................................................................299.9500
* 3.92 UP ARB AIR LOCKER ...............................................................899.9500
* SPICER 760X SERIES U-JOINT - EACH 24.9500 ...................................49.9
* PERFORMANCE OUTER AXLE - MUST SPECIFY SPLINE ........................477.34
* CURRIE PERF INNER AXLE ACCEPTS 760X U JOINT .............................359.9
* 1997-2006 TJ BRACKET SET- FRONT - NEW - MOUNTED ......................499.0000
* LABSRVC- ASSEMBLE REAREND - INSTALL AXLES & BRAKES ...................49.9500

Total before shipping : 3487.84

Thanks a lot!
Do you have any estimate on shipping over to Germany? ZIP code would be 60388, commerical adress, if that matters...

Thanks a lot!
Do you have any estimate on shipping over to Germany? ZIP code would be 60388, commerical adress, if that matters...

Hey chris, what about a rockjock? I mean its about the same outside size as that D44 right? would he pay much more for that over the d44?

Hey Chris,

How about the ford 8" for the front?, i ve heard its tougher than a 44? I saw a picture of it in your companys comanche.

They use it over 44 on Jeepspeed events...

Don't take the ring size diameter as the main ring&pinion strength parameter.

There are others important parameters as well....

Total Contact patch area i think is the only parameter that u can use to compare two ring&pinions assumuing they are made up with the same material.but it differs with every ratio.

But i also want to know why Jeepspeed guys prefer 8" over 44 Lets hear it from Chris...

wow, theres a lot of stuff to cover!

Robert.. Currie doesn't have set sizes for housings they can be what ever the customer asks for. a RJ built the same is going to be about another 800.00 then you would have to find all the outers. You could get them from Currie but that would add 2500.00 on top of the 800.00. A average RJ is going to run about 6500.00.

BlueGerbil & Profonde.. The 8" inch is a great option but the ratios are kind of limited. It has a third pinion bearing like a 9" and that adds a lot of strength to the gear set by keeping the gears from deflecting. Also the housing is stronger can be trussed much easier,It is all steel like the 9. This is one reason the Jeepspeed guys like myself like it. No matter how much you truss a D44 It will break in a JS. "

Phil.. I also like the 9" front. Its very strong and a great option for a Trail/Rock crawler were Up travel is not as important but not that great for JS were it extremely important.

The Currie Hi Pinion 3rd member uses a high pinion 8.8 ring gear. Used in the front In a 35 spline set up it will be good for a 40" tire. In my opinion the D44 gets more credit then it deserves.

Last edited:
wow, theres a lot of stuff to cover!

Robert.. Currie doesn't have set sizes for housings they can be what ever the customer asks for. a RJ built the same is going to be about another 800.00 then you would have to find all the outers. You could get them from Currie but that would add 2500.00 on top of the 800.00. A average RJ is going to run about 6500.00.

BlueGerbil & Profonde.. The 8" inch is a great option but the ratios are kind of limited. It has a third pinion bearing like a 9" and that adds a lot of strength to the gear set by keeping the gears from deflecting. Also the housing is stronger can be trussed much easier,It is all steel like the 9. This is one reason the Jeepspeed guys like myself like it. No matter how much you truss a D44 It will break in a JS. "

Phil.. I also like the 9" front. Its very strong and a great option for a Trail/Rock crawler were Up travel is not as important but not that great for JS were it extremely important.

What does the typical JS 8" front go for? Just wondering how many organs and limbs I'll need to sell off, any one know what a first born son is going for these days?:) Ride on Chris, very helpful responses!

Here is the cost of a JS 8" front.

Prfx Item # Qty Disc Description Price Item Total On Hand
* 9 INCH FRONT HOUSING WITH NEW HOT ROD CENTER AND YJ/TJ INNER KNUCKLES 699.9500 699.9500
* CURRIE PERF INNER AXLE ACCEPTS 760X U JOINT 179.9500 359.9000
* 8 Inch Ford (8IN) 4.63S Ratio - 28 Spline - Open (OD) Diff. - Original (O) Case - Original (O) Pin Sup - 1310 Std (L) Yoke 634.7 634.7
* 1997-2006 TJ BRACKET SET- FRONT - NEW - MOUNTED 499.0000 499.0000

Total: $2,193.55

some wil argue that the correct HPD30 will handle those 35's just fine for 90% of all the terrain out there. And at about a 2000$ price tag rather then 3500$ price.

Back