• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power door locks clicking

Rob Crouch

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 xj sport with power locks, as well as power windows and mirrors. The power locks have been acting up recently. Probably about 70% of the time I flip the lock switch, the doors do not lock. The only thing that happens is a clicking noise I hear from under the dash. Then I can come back like 2 or 3 minutes later and the door locks work like they are supposed too. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Or know of a post I can find some answers?
Thanks guys

Are you sure its not a buzzing noise from one of the door lock actuators? Does it do the same thing from both switches? Is the light on the switch on?

Last edited:
Sounds like the relay is firing, meaning that the switch side of the circuitry is good. I'd check to see if you are getting power to the actuators. Probably a bad wire in the driver's door, or the circuit breaker is having problems.

Yeah Its just a clicking noise. and It happens when I flip both switches. The lights are on. So I think the switch side is good. The wires are sending power as well. That leaves the circut breaker. Where is that located? and how do I test that for failure?

Sorry for such a long response time- I had to go out of town randomly.

If the circuit breaker was blown, I doubt you would get the clicking. That clicking usually means there is not enough voltage to hold the relay in - so the power to the relay has too much voltage drop.

Voltage drop is caused by wiring looms getting older, corroding, and having bad connections. The '90 era Jeeps have it worse, the circuit ran under the carpet. In your case, a lot of connection cleaning and tightening up probably needs to be done. Anticorrosion grease on the terminal connections won't hurt.

That makes since. I will have to work on that for sure. After closer inspection it seems like the clicking is coming from the driver side door. There is no similar sound in the driver side door. Does that change anything?

It's a 99, so I won't pretend to know better (although my son has one.)

So, if someone has a FSM or knows better, I will bump for their expertise.

Most often than not, it's the soleniod in the door lock that fails over time.

On my '98, I've replaced the one on my drivers side once already about 2 years ago, and now the left rear one is sort of hit and miss as far as operating.

I can hear the solenoids firing somewhat, they just don't have the umph to operate full range.

I've slowly been "collecting" door locks on Ebay, to be ready to replace them as needed. You can usually pick up used replacements for about $25 each. Yeah, it's a crapshot as to how long the used ones last, but they're lot cheaper than brand new.

It's not that difficult replace them, and you can swap one out in about an hour. Keep track of how the actuator rods hook on to the door handle, and be very careful when removing the door panel as the rods will still be connected. Two thin putty knives, one on each side of the door panel mounting plugs is all you need to remove the door panel. Don't forget the assorted mounting screws as well....

It seems like you would have several factors:
1.) Voltage getting to solenoid (switches, connections, relays, grounds)
2.) Power of solenoid (has anyone tried disassembly and cleaning?)
3.) Force required to engage lock (cleaning, lubing, aligning)

Lots of stuff to try!

Back