• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cut-out issue

Superflie

NAXJA Forum User
i have been hunting this issue for a few weeks now but its so unpredictable, i'm having problems. I'll be driving along and the engine starts cutting out like its losing power, repeatedly, then die, then it starts up chugs a bit then dies again no matter how much gas i give it or don't, then eventually it'll start back up and its fine for a while.

I thought it may be electronic, so i replaced the tps and the cps and tat. i thought it worked but it started again, so i check and redid the ground to my block from the battery which was kinda ugly, been fine for a week or so, then did it again this morning.

I had my fuel injectors cleaned last summer when i put the new engine in so i dont believe its those.

When it starts to cut out, it does not lose power to anything else, the engine just seems to cut, please anyone help. I dont want to just start throwing moeny after this thing

i would check/test the fuel system(fuel pump, filter, fuel pressure) and coil.

how about a little more info on the engine swap? short block from 89 and everything else from the 91? what electronic are you using, 91 or 89 renix?

i checked the ballast resistor (just bypassed it) and it was the same, i haven't checked the fuel pressure yet, the fuel filter was replaced last fall. The electronic is still the 91, same fuel tray

test fuel pressure although the engine would spit and pop.

sudden loss of power or engine just quiting sounds like an electrical problem. other than what you replaced, i would check the ground strap and test the coil.

I have gone through and checked all grounding straps and connections, even replaced some connectors as well. I checked fuel pressure last night and it was at 36-39 psi, unfortunately i cant duplicate the issue at will. I pulled the fuel filter last night back by the tank and set it in a plastic bowl while i replaced the clamps and cleaned up the lines and it drained out, the gas looked dirty and murky. so i picked up a new fuel filter, maybe that was the issue but i'm doubting it. I may pull the fuel pump sunday and check the filter on it to ensure its clear. Can anyone think of anything else??? also wouldn't the coil just go out or would it have problems for a while first?

I have gone through and checked all grounding straps and connections, even replaced some connectors as well. I checked fuel pressure last night and it was at 36-39 psi, unfortunately i cant duplicate the issue at will. I pulled the fuel filter last night back by the tank and set it in a plastic bowl while i replaced the clamps and cleaned up the lines and it drained out, the gas looked dirty and murky. so i picked up a new fuel filter, maybe that was the issue but i'm doubting it. I may pull the fuel pump sunday and check the filter on it to ensure its clear. Can anyone think of anything else??? also wouldn't the coil just go out or would it have problems for a while first?

Sounds like you answered your own question here.

Gas isn't supposed to be "dirty and murky". Why do you doubt it's that?

ok so here's the latest....

i replaced the fuel filter and it still had the same issue so..

i pulled the fuel pump Thursday and the fuel strainer was beat up and the pipe was not in the elbow, it was kind of just floating around in the net. So i replaced the strainer, but it seemed to be functioning just fine.

I tested this morning and it cut out a couple of times on me on the way to work (15-20 miles) just for a second or two then it runs along as normal.
i don't know enough about fuel injectors to no if they have problems before they go out so if anyone has any advice on that let me know.

I can't duplicate this consistently so i don't want to take it to a mechanic and waste the time trying to have him find something like this.

ok... i replaced the IAC last night and it was nasty with lots of carbon build up on it. runs better, but the issue is still there. i have a mechanic telling me that if i'm getting gas the fuel pumps not the problem and another thats telling me it is (just buddies). These are the things i know of left that could be the issue:
- fuel pump
- o2 sensor
- coil
- distributor
- fuel injectors (had them cleaned last summer)

anything else? In a 91 XJ, would a check from one of those diagnostic machines tell me anything?

The mechanic that told you "if you're getting gas, the fuel pump is not the problem" is incorrect. You can have a weak or intermittent pump.

Your coil can be tested for primary/secondary resistances with a meter. I'd sure start there. Check and freshen grounds as 89xj suggests. REPLACE distributor cap and rotor if you haven't done so. Wires not a bad idea either. Don't want to be chasing your tail because of a simple tuneup hardware issue.

Crank position sensor? I had a similar problem with my 99, not sure if it's applicable to your year...

ok, after all that, i replaced the rotor and cap (which was done last summer and its running great. Thanks to everyone for the help

Back