• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ Clutch Slave?

kraynijj

NAXJA Forum User
Does the 96 Cherokee XJ 4.0 6cyl 2DR 4WD have a clutch slave cylinder?
I've check the master clutch cylinder which is bolted on to the firewall, but I have had people tell me that the 96 XJ's don't have slave's.

Is this true??

I would ask these people exactly how a clutch system with a hydraulic master cylinder would operate without a hydraulic slave cylinder. Perhaps they mean that the slave is internal (within the clutch housing). I don't know the exact years but slaves were external to start, then internal for a period of years and then, I believe, external again.

External slaves started around 1993. 92s had internals, my 94 has an external. You've got an AX15 with an external slave.

Like Pelican says, if there's a hydraulic master, there's one (or more) slaves somewhere.

The master and slave come as a one piece unit. They can be seperated or bought seperate, but better to get the whole piece. The slave is small and black, and is external, just outside the bellhousing on driver side.

X2 what Jeep XJ_YJ said. I got mine from discount jeep parts or team cherokee when I installed an AX-15 in my 88. It was mopar and ready to roll. I just had to hook it up press once to break the plastic retainer and I was on my way.

Thanks for the responses.
I had initially thought there had to be a slave also, so ya'll just confirmed that for me. Obviously the guy I was talking to didn't really know what he was talking about.

well yes and no.
If you wanted to you could set it up with a master and a slave with a line inbetween, however the stock unit is connected with a plastic line between the master and slave without the possibility of replacing one side or another.

I have had several slave cylinders go out on me. That was one of the biggest gripes that I had with the internal slave that was used on the BA10/5. Even though it could have been set up to use an external slave on the bell housing they had to use the most jacked up system possible. Usually when a slave brakes you find out when you have run out of fluid in the master. This normally trashes the seal and its time to rebuild or replace the master any way. That is part of my reasoning in using the all in one piece when I upgraded to an AX-15.

When you roll under your jeep and look on the bell housing on the drivers side you should see the slave cylinder.
Here is a pic of what it looks like from the front of the tranny the air gap in the bellhousing is where the slave cylinder pushes on the fork.
AX15005.jpg

And here is a side shot Those bolts mid way down on the bell housing are where the slave cylinder would be mounted if it where installed in the jeep.

AX15004.jpg

no worries I just wish I would've slowed down on the conversion and taken more photos.

Back