• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front driveshaft

CherokeeCrawler88

NAXJA Forum User
I got a question is it really possible to use a front cv driveshaft in the rear with a sye I really need to know before I start my project. Any info and pics would be greatly apperrciated

You need to post your year, engine, trans, t-case, axles, amount of lift etc. Your question will most likely get answered faster and correctly with this information. Not bustin your chops just letting you know.

Thats what I am running, same shaft front and rear. I drove around for a few weeks with out a front shaft...got better mileage haha.

I've got a '91 2Dr. XJ Laredo 4.0 liter HO with an AW-4 and an XJ D44. Its on a 4.5in Rubicon Express superflex. 32x11.50x15 BFG MT KM. I want to add an SYE soon probley the Advanced Adapter one or the PORC one(I think there the same). Does any one know which stock front drive shaft would work with my application. Ill also be stepping up to a 5.5in lift (The RE 5.5 coils are in my garage) with RC drop brackets. Will the new drive shaft work at 5.5-6.0 inches of lift?:helpme:

You want the Front DS out of an 89-01 XJ with AW4 tranny....

PM me and I can get you the part number when I get home, if you want, or you can just look in the junkyard or Ebay for that combo....

I run that in mine, with ~5" lift and its great.

I have the RE 5.5" with a SYE and that's what I run.

High2by,

You are running a little more lift than that with the shackle relocation brackets and the DS still works fine.

True...

that's good to hear... i'm currently at 3" of lift, so that means there's room to go up before i need to look into another shaft.

l_6c883ffe37f9459b8570f2db707d02f4.jpg

i believe this is the picture you're looking for...

i have a 00 XJ with 4.0/AW4/231 and am running a PORC SYE with a front DS to an 8.25... and am having no problems whatsoever after almost a year!

I have a 92 Cherokee,currently 3" rough country, dana30 front,8.25 rear, installing 4.56 gears, locked front and rear, moving up to putting 6.5" coil up front and 4.5 RE leafs in rear with 1.5" shackle to make 6" lift. From this picture the driveshaft looks pretty extended does this mean it will not work with a 6" lift? I want to leave my front cv driveshaft in and get another front driveshaft from junk yard to install in the rear. Will that work with that much lift?

i have 4.0,AW4, and a 231 transfer all stock? What im asking is can I run 2 front style cv driveshafts mine thats already in the front and one out of the junkyard in the rear with 6.5" lift and sye kit?

i'm not sure on 6.5" lift... high2by (mark) is running a little more than 5.5" lift, with a junkyard front driveshaft... so i guess it's possible.

in my picture, the vehicle is on a lift and therefore the axle is fully drooped... works fine for me at 3"... and there is about another inch or so left to extend...

I haven't had any problems with mine. I do carry an extra shaft just in case though.

Forgot. AW4 with a 231 and an AA SYE with an XJ 44 rear.

Last edited:
I have a AW4/NP231/8.25/Advance Adapters HD SYE and at ride height(5.5") I have about 3/4" slip-out left. I have about the same slip-out left in the front. You are better to be too short than to long. Too long = trashed T-case! Too short and you will just pull out with maybe some damage.

I plan on re-tubing all 3 of my shafts and make them 1" longer this summer just to ease my mind but I have had no issues so far even though the shafts are stretched out a bit.

ok is there anything that has to be done in order to make this work or does it it bolt straight up to the sye and the rear axle, and I can get the driveshaft extended like a inch if that would be better. I know you said you have 5.5" I will have 6-6.5 wouldn't that make a difference?

ok is there anything that has to be done in order to make this work or does it it bolt straight up to the sye and the rear axle, and I can get the driveshaft extended like a inch if that would be better. I know you said you have 5.5" I will have 6-6.5 wouldn't that make a difference?

what sye to you plan to use? i believe you need the HD version(new main shaft) for it to be a direct bolt on. PORC HD SYE or advanced HD. if you use the RE hack and tap, then you need a spicer adapter i believe to use the front shaft.

and not to change the subject, but are you also planning on long arms or control arm drop bracket for 6"-6.5" lift.

Im running waggy 44's front & rear 5.13 gears /AW4/NP231/Advance Adapters HD SYE/ 37'' Iroks with front drive shaft in the rear no problem,

I will be running adjustable control arms and drop brackets. I will be installing the Porc sye heavy duty one the hole kit not tap one so would a front cv driveshaft run in the rear with 6 inches of lift

Back