• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5 Auto .... are they sort of rare?

veedubshafer

NAXJA Forum User
I want some 4.56 axles out of one of these slugs - are they really that rare to find in the junkyard - I have a yard no too far away that has lots of XJ's weather has just been too cold to go look - just wondering...

no, 4.0 manual has 3.07's - 2.5 manual has 4.11 - 2.5 auto has 4.56 - BUT there can be exceptions!

Yes! There is one VERY big exception.

It is 2.5L Automatic with the AW-4 automatic that contains 4.56 natively.

1984-86 will have 3.73 ratio with the automatic (IIRC)

2.5L Auto 1987+ will have 4.56. They ARE very rare. I mean you'd have better luck searching for Hens Teeth.

That being said, the bell housing, cables and TB/Torque Conv are also sought after for people wanting to put a 4spd auto behind a 2.5 L. They are 100% specific to the 2.5/AW4 combo.

That being said, if you find one of these PLEASE take the entire setup. BH/TC/TB and cables/axles. Not for profiteering but to make another Jeeper's search just a little easier if you aren't going to use the parts.

well, I would just get the rears - the other stuff is really useless to me...my buddy found one once - it was a park ranger type of rig in fact the d35 had a limited slip in it too - well, I guess I will see what I can find...

Back