• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Tank skid plate question.

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 and I would like to put a skid plate on the gas tank but I am not wanting to drop $200-300 on it. I have been told that some of the older molder cherokees came with a factory skid plate for the gas tank. I have a few questions. Can it be mounted on my 2000? If not, how much modifying would I need to make it work? Is the skid plate even worth my time and money or is it too thin to really give me any protection?

Find an OEM off of a 97 or later, they will provide plenty of protection.

A stock skidplate is better than no skidplate.

Very True. The way that I wheel, I am real lucky that I still have a gas tank. I know that it is only a matter of time before I crush my tank, so I knew I needed to get this plate ASAP. I spoke with XJFrankie who has an extra one, so hopefully I can work something out with him. He was real cool about helping me out. I appreciate the info guys.

idk if i have a factory skid plate... is it that plastic cover over the tank?... or is the tank plastic?

On a 00 the tank is plastic. JIM.

eh =/ i really really really really really dont want to take off my tow package to install a skid plate lol if only you knew how much of a PITA it was to install it in the first place

Off topic:

I just bought a 91 cherokee last night. I havent had time to look at it..So my gas tank should have a skid plate?

Not all Cherokees from that period came with the skid plate. I am not sure, but I think the package that had the front skid plate and the gas tank skid was called the "Up Country" package or something like that. It is not a super common package but it is also not a rare package.

eh =/ i really really really really really dont want to take off my tow package to install a skid plate lol if only you knew how much of a PITA it was to install it in the first place

I was able to slip my hitch over the skid plate. Its was a struggle but it ended up getting on there. Mine was off a 90' and all I had to do was trim the dumb plastic shield to get it on.

Find an OEM off of a 97 or later, they will provide plenty of protection.

are the older ones undesirable in terms of protection? is there much difference between them? is the difference too great to be workable? i.e., if it's too small...

Very True. The way that I wheel, I am real lucky that I still have a gas tank. I know that it is only a matter of time before I crush my tank, so I knew I needed to get this plate ASAP.

If your above statement is actually true, you may want to consider an aftermarket skidplate. I like the DPG myself. I know it's a little pricey, but it only takes once...

While OEM is better than nothing, a hard enough hit may result in a crushed skidplate crushing your tank.

are the older ones undesirable in terms of protection? is there much difference between them? is the difference too great to be workable? i.e., if it's too small...

IIRC, there's a physical difference in size or shape between the 84-96 steel tank and the 97-01 plastic one such that the skid for the older vehicles literally doesn't fit on the newer trucks.

In terms of protection, they're probably equal.

IIRC, there's a physical difference in size or shape between the 84-96 steel tank and the 97-01 plastic one such that the skid for the older vehicles literally doesn't fit on the newer trucks.

In terms of protection, they're probably equal.

thanks. i'll keep looking for a ZJ skid

thanks. i'll keep looking for a ZJ skid

I just picked up a factory ZJ gas tank skid from Ebay. The seller is in Providence RI (local to me) so I managed to skip shipping and pick up the skid. It was only $35. Shipping was running in the $40-$50 range.

I haven't tried to fit it up yet (needs a wire wheel job) but hopefully soon.

Related: I have a factory hitch. That will come down, skid will go up, and hitch will go back on over the skid? There are conflicting reports on this... I just have to take a look I suppose... it should be obvious.

My greater question is what do I do with the exhaust? Pull the tail pipe off the hanger and let it dangle? Will I get enough clearance to wrestle the skid and hitch around? Looks tight...

Generally the hitch goes over the skid, but this is not always the case. You'll just have to test-fit it all together. It all depends on how the hitch mounts - whether it has arms that go inward to the framerail or outward.

I had to remove the tailpipe from the hanger and rest the skid on it.

Here's a mini writeup I did when I installed my gas tank skid a few weeks ago: http://junkyardjeep.blogspot.com/2009/01/gas-tank-skid.html

Generally the hitch goes over the skid, but this is not always the case. You'll just have to test-fit it all together. It all depends on how the hitch mounts - whether it has arms that go inward to the framerail or outward.

I had to remove the tailpipe from the hanger and rest the skid on it.

Here's a mini writeup I did when I installed my gas tank skid a few weeks ago: http://junkyardjeep.blogspot.com/2009/01/gas-tank-skid.html

Thanks - good info.

That's a great write up by the way... actually your whole blog site is really well done. Keep it up :guitar:

i just rolled in a 98 ysterday and noticed it has a skid over the gas tank and something ls in the back (inside with the other pieces parts)that looks to have been a skid of somekind. so either front or tranny would be my guestimation. I agre with a previous poster, any skid is better then none. This one isnt the thinnest i have ever seen nor the thickest. just my 2 cents on it.

Last edited:
Back