• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another headlight switch question

easternjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Alright I did a search and it didn't seem like anyone else was having the same issues together.

My headlights started going out a while ago, but would work again if I kept pulling the headlight switch in and out about 10 time or so. This worked for a while and then I read the forums and replaced the switch. Extremely easy and worked...for a while. The headlights started going out again, so I did the whole headlight switch again but this time only the low beams would work (high beams work if I flash them, but do not stay clicked on). The gauge cluster light goes out if I pull the switch out fully and turn on the headlights though. In turn, when the gauge cluster lights go out, so do all the rear brake lights. Also, my turn signals do not work at all at any time.

I know it sounds dumb but what I have been doing (i.e. due to lack of $) is pushing in the headlight switch just enough to cut off my headlights and this causes the gauge cluster lights to come back on. I then just wedge a bolt behind the turn signal lever to hold the brights on since they won't click to stay on anymore and just drive at night with my brights forced on.

When I was switching the headlight switch the last time I did notice that the connector had melted a little at one of the terminals (Before I started forcing and keeping the high beams on to drive at night). Obviously there is resistance in that wire at some point for it to get that hot, but I cannot find it. I went through all the fuses and relays and they check out ok. I took it to a mechanic who told me by just listening to my description that my turn signal switch is bad and gave me an estimate of $140 to repair it. My windshield washers work fine as does the windshield mister, so wouldn't that indicate that the turn signal switch is fine, or no?

I guess I am asking what steps I should take in order to try and diagnose this myself.

"My windshield washers work fine as does the windshield mister, so wouldn't that indicate that the turn signal switch is fine, or no? "

No, different contacts in the switch may have problems or not. Just because some of the switch is good, doesn't mean it is all good. Did you fix the connectors where they were "a little melted"?

What year do you have? Wiring isn't necessarily the same for all years.

It is a 1996. I tried to clean them up as well as I could. Do you think maybe the connector itself is making a poor connection? What I mean is, do you think I should take the terminal out where it is "somewhat melted" and just put a spade connector on that wire?

I don't want to Hijack this thread, bnut I'm having some similar problem with my 1990. My headlights go off (just the headlights, not the parking lights), what I do is pull them on and off once (with the switch) and they go back to work again. Well, I'm trying to take off my headlight switch and I can´t because I can't take off the black plastic that you pull to turn the lights on. What should I do, just pull that plastic piece with more power till it goes off? or is there other way to take it off?.

Thanks

There is a little button on the bottom of the headlight switch that releases the plastic knob. Pull out the knob as far as you can (normal force), push the button, and then pull the knob all the way out of the switch. Once the knob is off, you can take a big flat head screwdriver and unscrew the lockring behind the knob.

It is a 1996. I tried to clean them up as well as I could. Do you think maybe the connector itself is making a poor connection? What I mean is, do you think I should take the terminal out where it is "somewhat melted" and just put a spade connector on that wire?

Yeah, I'd do that. I've seen a lot of melted connectors keep causing more problems. Or get a used one and splice the whole thing in.

From the way that you have to wedge the switch, I'd have to vote for the multifunction switch. It seems like the headlights are a weak system and you could benefit by going to relays for the headlamps. (search threads for more info) Benefits will be brighter lights and no more switch/connector meltdowns.

Back