• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

winch mounting

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
I just picked up a warn 8000# winch and mounting plate off of a wrangler. anybody have any pics/explanation of how to mount it. i still have a stock bumper and don't want to shell out the coin to buy a winch bumper. If there's no easy way, i'm going to fabricate something, but would like ideas.

You will have to coin out the money, because there is no safe way to mount that winch to a sheet metal bumper.

You need a heavy duty system that will tie into the uni-body, otherwise the winch will rip the font off your vehicle, and you will still be stuck, only with a broken front end.

Also, the winch plate off the wrangler is useless to you, as you dont have a wrangler.

i have a set of brackets running off of the front frame that extend out beyond the bumper. found them at the junkyard. Not sure what they were originally for, some sort of bumper i think, but i made them into tow hook brackets. I think they will actually be the perfect start for me fabbing something similar to the detours product so i can keep the stock bumper. now if only i could find the dimensions/specs for that detour product...

I mounted class three hitches front and back, fabricated a receiver mount that I bolted to my floor behind the rear seat, that way your good to go in any direction and your winch is stored out of the elements. This is a very economical way to go and I think it's definantly the most practical........

I mounted class three hitches front and back, fabricated a receiver mount that I bolted to my floor behind the rear seat, that way your good to go in any direction and your winch is stored out of the elements. This is a very economical way to go and I think it's definantly the most practical........

pics???

that is a pretty sweet product. too bad it costs just as much as a whole new winch bumper. Good ideas to fabricate off of, though.

Thats about 150-200 less than any winch bumper i have seen. I am getting one soon. Along with an XRC8 and an optima red top

The only thing with receiver mount winches, is they are really not rated for side pulls, only straight on.

After seeing the backbone mount, I'm going to fab my own along those same lines. I already have 2 beefy 1.5" square tube brackets on the front tied into the frame that will be the perfect base for fabbing this up. Drew up my plans last night on autocad, should be super easy and super cheap. I'll post pics. I'm planning on doing it this weekend.

Back