• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Throttle Cable Gets Stuck

uvaldetxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas on how to fix my throttle cable, or if that's even the problem. I tried searching for a fix, but couldn't turn up what I needed. My throttle will sometimes get stuck whenever I floor it, I can slow the jeep down by holding my brake down, but it usually takes it about 5 seconds for the rpms to drop back down. My guess is that it's a throttle cable or something, hopefully somebody can chime in.

1987 XJ 4.0 AW4 NP231 D30 D44 3.54

Also check aftermarket floor mats. I know it seems simple but they have a tendency to cause this issue.

Take off the large hose that goes from the airbox to the throttle body and look at the top of the throttle body to see if it needs to be cleaned. You could also manually depress the lever that opens up the throttle a few times to see if there is anything that feels sticky.

Back