• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radiator drain plug

gigage

NAXJA Forum User
Came out of store, had coolant draining from front of jeep, looks like the drain plug is missing. I had flushed the system a couple of months ago and hadn't had any problems. I noticed when I drained the system that the oem plug was kind of cheap so I am hoping it just failed.

Has any one had this problem before? and can I get a replacement plug, and what size should I look for? I had to drive about a mile home it got pretty hot I just hope it didn't cause any damage.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you

What year? You can get a drain plug at a hardware store or radiator shop, but why did it come off? Mine has no drain plug, I pull the lower radiator hose (97 XJ).

Thanks for the reply. It's a 90 pioneer with the towing pkg. what's strange is that we had just driven back from Ft. Worth to Arlington and had no indication of overheating. We went into the store for about 15 minutes and when we came out it looked like it had just started draining, there was no trail at all. I went back over this morning to see if I could find the plug but no sign of it.

Anyway it's just a 1/2" plug with no threads. AZ didn't have it so I might have to go to the dealer. I was wondering if one of those compression plugs might work if I could find the right size?

Again thanks for the reply

*I don't think the dealer will have it (not their kind of thing)
*you can go to the hardware store and but a 1/2" NPT tap and buy a brass 1/2" NPT plug and install using pipe sealant
*or go to a radiator shop and have them install a petcock, which might be what was in there and had fallen out. It might have been soldered.
*let us know...just curious

Best regards...

Back