• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long arm joints

go1lum

NAXJA Forum User
What size flex joints are people running on their home brew long arm lifts. And are you using a flex joint only at one end or both. Or do you use a bushing at one end.

On the pasanger side i want to do just a strait arm off of a new custom crossmember. Then maybe an upper arm from the top of the crossmember. The drivers side i want to do like a y-link setup.

A lot of stuff that I've seen people are running a flex joint on the from side and a rubber bushing on the axle side, just to keep the ride decent, but if that's not a issue, (or money isn't ) go with the flex joint on both ends. I'm starting to plan on my L/A setup and I think I'm going to do a 3 link set-up, the y link stuff seems like it would just hinder flex, but that could just be me. If you use the search tool you can find tons of reading material. Or just google it and usually you can find it. Hope I was at least some help.

Dane

Found some info I was looking for.....BDS uses

• Large Flex end uses 9/16" bolt
  • Small Flex end uses 7/16" bolt

They use the big ones for the lower arms and the small one for the upper arm

Last edited:
On the pasanger side i want to do just a strait arm off of a new custom crossmember. Then maybe an upper arm from the top of the crossmember. The drivers side i want to do like a y-link setup.
You cant do both,its one or the other!

now, thats just stupid

now, thats just stupid

everyone has to learn somewhere tho, thats why he's here asking.

could be worse, could have asked for pictures of homemade long arms instead of searching in the first place.

points for originality tho, I don't think I have seen this question before, or atleast in a long time.

I'm just starting my 3-link and will be using Johnny Joints on both ends. One end will be adjustable.

I might be mistaken, but due to the way a radius setup works, you need rubber joints on all but the body ends of the arms. Notice that neither RE nor TNT uses more than one flex/Johnny Joint per arm and that one sits on the body end. The rubber mounts on the axle ends and the upper arm linking to the main arm are to allow for some "twist" as the axle flexes which is how any radius arm setup works.

I might be mistaken, but due to the way a radius setup works, you need rubber joints on all but the body ends of the arms. Notice that neither RE nor TNT uses more than one flex/Johnny Joint per arm and that one sits on the body end. The rubber mounts on the axle ends and the upper arm linking to the main arm are to allow for some "twist" as the axle flexes which is how any radius arm setup works.
While thats true for radius arms,it doesnt apply to a 3 link set-up.

Incorrect. I used TeraFlex Large Ends on the body (crossmember) side of mine. The axle end (lowers) use OEM bushings.
WinterProject071.jpg

While thats true for radius arms,it doesnt apply to a 3 link set-up.

Correct, don't know why I for some reason read Y-link instead of 3-link :looney:

Incorrect. I used TeraFlex Large Ends on the body (crossmember) side of mine. The axle end (lowers) use OEM bushings.

you need rubber joints on all but the body ends of the arms
What I said was Johnny Joints on the body side and all the other ones rubber ones. What did you use where the upper arm connects to the lower arm?

Back