• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95-96 Stock Fender Flares on 94 and below?

comanche91

NAXJA Forum User
The 95 and 96 stock front fender flares stick out a bit farther and are curved differently than the older 94 and below flares. Will these newer flares bolt on to my 91 using the same mounting plates with no modifications? I'm pretty sure they will, but don't want to ASSume anything.

Uh...... no they don't. Flares were exactly the same '84 - '96.

'97 - '01 had a different design and mounted a bit differently, but didn't extend any farther out either.

The reason I asked is because the other day I parked next to a 96 XJ, looked bone stock, and the front flares between my 91 and the 96 were noticebly different. Maybe not sticking out more, but the roll in the flare, especially in the front, sloped down more and got progressively narrower toward the front bumper. Also, the parts manual shows different part numbers for the 95 and 96 front flares, while the older 94 and below flare carried the same part number.

Better yet, if anyone can post a pic of a 95 or 96 flare from like a front 45 degree angle and I can post the same from my 91, we can compare. Pretty sure they are different.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm..... can't explain the part number thing.

But, I did a front collision repair on a '96 and used the complete fender and flare from an '89. Flares were exactly the same.

I'd have to assume that if there were a difference in the plastic flares, the mounting brackets would be the same. I used a combination of brackets for the fix to mount the '89 flare as some of the threaded studs broke off during disassembly/paint.

A little misinformation here. Yes, '95 & '96 flares are "different". On all previous models, the flares are uniform all the way across, they curve in with the fender. For whatever reason, on those two latter years, they left the flare going straight out, which when the fender curves in, leaves the flair out from the body more on the front end. They all bolt on the same, but the physical flare for those two years is shaped slightly different.

A little misinformation here. Yes, '95 & '96 flares are "different". On all previous models, the flares are uniform all the way across, they curve in with the fender. For whatever reason, on those two latter years, they left the flare going straight out, which when the fender curves in, leaves the flair out from the body more on the front end. They all bolt on the same, but the physical flare for those two years is shaped slightly different.

Thanks Kittrel, good to know I'm not going blind. :laugh3: There must be some differences between the 95 and 96 flares too as they have different part numbers. I like the newer flares better because they do stick out a bit more and might protect the body sides a little better?

Last edited:
I just googled a bunch of pics....... yep, there certainly is a very minor difference at the front upper curve. All the fawkin' XJ's I've stripped down and never noticed it.

Now I gotta look at the finished pics of that '96 I fixed and see if the flares are different........ :looney:

Can you post the pics YELLAHEEP if you get a chance? Thanks

What, and embarass myself........ no friggin' way.

:D

Sure doesn't seem like it'd be worth the effort for an added half an inch of coverage toward the front though......

Awrite, awrite...... here ya go. I can't tell a friggin' difference though.

Pass side is the '89 flare, Driver's side is the original. :dunno:

P1011518.jpg

P1011520.jpg

Very subtle. The difference shows up better below where you trimmed off the front. But you're right, prolly not worth the effort. Beautiful XJ BTW. :cheers: Thanks for posting the pics.

I have an '89 and a '96 sitting nose to nose in the driveway and I'd never noticed difference before now.
On the '89 the flairs follow the forward curve of the fenders. The tops '96 the flairs parallel the line of the body and might cover the upper front edge of a slightly wider tire.

You are right, the front flares on my 95 were a bit wider towards the front of the flare than flares from older models. Although I do not believe it is entirely year specific, but I could be wrong.

All of the rear flares 84-96 are the same size.

97-01 is a different story.

If I remember right, the 1996 (maybe '95) also had a textured finnish...
-back in the day my dad bought a '96 SE new and we allready had our '92 Sport, I noticed the difference (wider front, and the textured finnish?) and was going to swap them out back in 2000 when we traided the '96 in for a WJ...

--I've always wanted to do the swap but can never find the wider flairs in the Junkyard... a simple cosmetic upgrade.

Back