• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Antenna Wire Routing

mbenonis

NAXJA Forum User
I currently have a CB and will soon be installing a 2M/70cm radio in my XJ. I'd like to find another way to route the antenna wires from the roof mounting location (mag mount) into the vehicle. Does anyone have any ideas on this, short of drilling a hole and either running the wire through or installing a PL259 connector in the roof?

If I were to drill a hole and install a connector, how would I protect it from water/corrosion?

mbenonis said:
...will soon be installing a 2M/70cm radio in my XJ. ....?

That seems like a rather large radio. I'm sure the newer models are alot smaller.

roflmao.gif

A panel-mount PL259 on the roof is the cleanest. Otherwise, some people run the cable between the doors into the b-pillar, or the rear hatch/body.

Yeah, the 2m will take up the majority of my dash.:roflmao:

I agree that the roof-mount PL-259 would definitely look cleaner. How would I protect the connector from the elements, and how would I prevent the roof from leaking?

I'm sure you can get weathertight PL-259's somewhere - I'd start by checking Ham Radio Outlet and Allied Electronics (both findable with Google - I'm not sure of the URLs. Perhaps I should build a broader "Links" page one of these days?)

Since radio installations in vehicles are fairly common, I don't see any reason why they should be terribly difficult to find. Just don't "cheap out" - I'd probably go with Belden-made, Amphenol-made, AMP-made, or something similar...

5-90

mbenonis said:
Yeah, the 2m will take up the majority of my dash.:roflmao:

I agree that the roof-mount PL-259 would definitely look cleaner. How would I protect the connector from the elements, and how would I prevent the roof from leaking?
You are licensed for that 2m aren't you? KV8OOA here.

Use an NMO mount that is actually designed for this. If you had the radio shack htx252 it would fit in that little area above the console-below the dash.(I may have one to trade/sell)
One super nice thing about the NMO is you buy load coils for whatever feq you run. If you want to run the 2m then a 144 coil and whip, tune for swr. Then when you want to run trails and have to go to cb mode swap out the coil for an hf 10 m tuned for 27meg. Swap the coax under the dash to the correct radio and you are in business. Or, you could easily mount them both, an NMO mount is only 20.00 If you run trails with a lot of low trees and branches add another $6 for a spring under the whip.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NMO-3-4-Antenna-Mount-MOBILE-Mini-UHF_W0QQitemZ170030592075QQihZ007QQcategoryZ53107QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
Great ideas with respect to the antennas, but I still need to get the coax into the car, preferably without running it through a door - hence, the idea of mounting the requisite connectors on the roof itself. Any ideas in this area?

BTW, the radio I'll be installing is a Yaesu FT-7800R, and I bought a Hustler MX-270 MagMount mobile dual band antenna to go with it. Basically, I want to do a nice, clean install that would let me swap/remove the antenna as needed, ideally. At the same time I'd like to clean up my CB install too (which currently runs through the passenger door).

73's
KI4RIX

www.firestik.com has plenty of antenna mounts. http://www.hamradio.com/web/product.html has lots of stuff also. If you removes your dome light or overhead console you have direct access to the underside of the roof. I ran my coax between the roof and the headliner material to the door pillar and behind the plastic trim to the floor. GE silicone will take care of the water.

I have the coax for my CB and 2m going through a factory rubber grommet in in the hatch area. I'll try to get a pic tonight.

I have the holes drilled, 3 in fact. I have ruber grommets and a nice glob of silicone to keep the water out, and have never had a leak.

The first was dead center, I used the position of that one and marked 1.5' towards the front and the same going towards the rear. Originally they were to be CB antennas, now however I use them for discovering wireless networks (part of my side job). There is no better wireless discovery device or tool than a properly equipt XJ, lol.

For CB use dead center of the roof is the best spot.

My digicam didnt survive my last trail ride, as soon as I can afford to replace it, or borrow one, I will get some pics.

Back