• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temp Sensor Spec

river6822

NAXJA Forum User
It's my understanding that the stock temp sensor that throws the e-fan on, operates at 210-220 degrees F. I've been told it's the one on the t-stat housing.

Is there a sensor that can operate at a lower temp say 160-180 degreees F?

Would it effect anything else besides the temp that the e-fan starts?

My issue is when having the snow plow attached, I'm heating things up a bit too much. I don't have a temp gauge, only the idiot light. I don't know the exact temp I'm running under those conditions, but I know it's HOT. Snow steams off the hood and the heat coming out of the heater is insane. The coolant overflow tank is on the verge of boiling. My coolant mix is 50/50.

I know the e-fan comes on, I just want it to come on sooner and stay on longer.

TIA

Hallo. You can put a resistor parallel to the CTS between the wires.
The ECU thinks that the engine is hot earlier. The fan will switch now by 205*
By putting a resistor (4 Kohms) parallel, the resistance will be lower.
In the cold you may have a little cranking problem.(mixture to lean). Why not use a switch on the dash? Below a diagram. party1:

p.s. Is your clutch of the mainfan OK?

'92 XJ

Last edited:
Ahh - Maybe the lower temp thermostat is the way to go. What is the down side to that ?

You stay in open loop much longer and your gas MPG will go to heck.

Check the clutch on the mechanical fan.

Hood vents would be a simple solution.

I thought of the switch idea too, but then I remembered the KISS principle. With temp warning light, and not a temp gauge, I wouldn't really know when to turn the switch on and off. The sensor is just an automatic switch. That seemed to be the simplest way to aleviate the problem.

Why would that temp sensor effect the starting? Maybe hot start, but cold start or warm start it should have no effect. Is that sensro even looked at by the ECU? I thought it was just tied to the fan and the temp warning light.

Oh - This is on a 92 4.0l XJ.

My gas mileage is already down to about 12-14 mpg. Lord knows I don't want that to go down any further.

How do I check the mechanical fan clutch? I thought that fan spun the entire time the truck ran?

Hood vents might be a reasonable solution for heat dissipation, but will they REALLY make a difference in getting more air through the radiator?

I had the parallel resistor in there and it would come on 5-10* sooner. It did run rough at cold start-up, so Dino's switch mod would be recommended if you go that route(I removed the resistor once I realized the issue). I just modded mine to come on whenever I wanted. Check out the manual switch mod in modified.

Thermostat will likely not affect your gas mileage (see endless threads -- I went from PO's 165 to 195 with no change in MPG) and will not solve your problem.

Gradon has the absolute KISS solution. Your problem is only when you are using the plow. Just switch it on when you need it. Affects nothing else and is cheap and simple.

After thinking about it a little, the thermostat isn't going to help me much. It's really about getting more air through the radiator when under load.

I saw that some swapped out the fan clutch for an HD model. Has anyone done that under these circumstances? Opinions?

Thanks

Hallo. I think, mounting a HD clutch is a good idea. (Napa,Omix-Ada) Watch the turndirection!
It's also possible to eliminate the fan clutch and make a fixed fan with bolts or use a eliminator.
Installing hoodvents is also a big result in cooling your enginebay. :laugh:

Back