• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems w/ not vacuum pumping a/c?

jeepster_259

NAXJA Forum User
I recently replaced my a/c compressor, so my refrigerant lines were unplugged for a minimal amount of time, enough to swap the lines to the new compressor.

I've heard that it will eventually destroy my a/c system if i recharge and use it without having it vacuum pumped. Is this true?

Will it be ok if I don't pump it?

You should vac it down. Harbor Freight sells one you hook to your air compressor. I paid like 15.00 for one. Works great.

Good Luck
Nick

You should vac it down. Harbor Freight sells one you hook to your air compressor. I paid like 15.00 for one. Works great.

Good Luck
Nick

X2, I also got the Harbor Freight one and it works just fine. Not only will it eventually destroy it, but your A\C will never work right. Even if you pay someone else its money well spent.

alright well good to know. Autozone does rent a powered vacuum pump. But I was told I also need a gauge set which costs $75 to refill it while pumping it.

Can I just hook the pump to it and then refill it like usual through the low pressure port with the connector that comes with the refrigerant cans?

You don't really need the gages, but the cheap set I got from Harbor Freight works good. You'll be completely evacuating the system, so then you can just put in the proper amount of refridgerant. Sorry, I don't remember how many oz. I think I found that on an AC website before. THe FSM says 1.25 pounds for the 2000 XJ.

At least two problems:

1) Evacuate the air - and all of the moisture contained in it. This saves corrosion of internal parts.

2) Remaining air in the system will result in an undercharge when you've filled back up, even if the pressure is right. Why? Because part of the refrigerant charge will be atmospheric air instead of refrigerant.

Back