• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stripping the paint off stock flares ?

dan89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone stripped the paint of the stock flares ? Mine are pealing REAL BAD ! And.. under the flaking paint, I see a raw surface that I like. So.. I want to get all that paint off somehow without scratching/damaging the raw surface somehow. Anyone have an idea how to do this ? paint stripper ? oven cleaner ?(I read this takes chrome off plastic parts)

aircraft stripper will kill anything just about, they sell it at pepboys

aircraft stripper will melt the plastic... dont do it. It will however strip the paint and primer off ANYTHING metal.. USE VERY THICK GLOVES... it will burn your skin... best stuff for plastic is media blasting.... same as sand blasting but with diffrent type of meterial.. some use plastic , glass ( not for plastic ) sand , walnut shells.... yes walnut shells... Good luck. An old resto shop will usually have the less abrasive materials..

You can buy paint stripper just for plastics. You can get it at any parts store that sells automotive paint and supplies. We use it to strip bumper covers and trim.

xj8_8 said:
You can buy paint stripper just for plastics. You can get it at any parts store that sells automotive paint and supplies. We use it to strip bumper covers and trim.

Hmm.. I'll look into that. Thanks

just sand the paint off the flares, use a lower grit at first then work your way up to about 400-600 on the plastic. Then you could just paint the flare black with some trim paint. ORRR try to heat it up with a heat gun after you sand it with really high grit paper. That may work

Hope that helps

If they're peeling that bad, try a high pressure blow gun or maybe a preassure washer. Aim right at the edge of the paint, you might get lucky. Wetsand whats left w/ 400g. I wouldn't use anything coarser than that on the plastic though, or you will end up with a furry looking mess. Make sure you use an adhesion promoter made for plastics before you prime or paint.

Back