• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alternator relocation -- with PICS! finally

97babyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
finally got the alternator mounted.
its a 97 4.0
much thanks to my brother for fabricating/welding.
it worked out great, i was able to use the original ac comp. bracket as a base along with some of the orignal mounting holes. the upright piece is bolted through an original hole into the block along with a 1/4 incher through the aluminum.
as for a belt, we measured 74.5" with the adjuster in the middle.
GoodYear has a 6 rib 74.5" (GTR-4060745), PERFECT!!

for now, ill post up some pictures when i get the belt in the mail.

on to the pictures:
0111091419.jpg

0111091419a.jpg

0111091419b.jpg

0111091425.jpg

0111091427.jpg

0111091426.jpg

Last edited:
No higher than the valve cover, is it?

it just touches the hood brace, some hood clearing will need to happen.

thats all it is, a mix of 3/16 and 1/4 strip, channel, and angle for the upright.

the water pump is good, it gets the back side of the belt.

i also will be using a bendable upper rad. hose to run around the back of the alt.

it doesn't look like the alternator, and pulley below it line up at all...how are you going to make that work without slipping off?

post more pics when you get it done. i have your same AC compressor mount, and id love to figure out a way to move my alternator up there

The belt lines up almost perfect, it is def tough to tell until i get the belt on there but some leveling spacers will not hurt if needed.

I am not to worried about contact on the mech. fan pulley, it will only be for idling.

I will be using two elec. fans instead.

It looks like there is a ton of room to move it down some, it could clear up the hood touching issue. You could also modify the on engine side mount so that you can adjust belt tention there instead of at the powersteering pump. *less of a pain in the butt*

Last edited:
x2

I would also like to know what the distance between centers on those holes you drilled for each of those pieces.

sorry, i have been busy.
finally got the belt mounted up, we had to drop the inside mount down about an 1.5" or so because the belt was quite tighter than expected.
it actually works out great it clears the hood now.
it seems to be lined up perfect but the test will be when I get it started
prob a month or so.

what measurements are you looking for?

alt2.jpg

alt1.jpg

alt3.jpg

Looks good. You are also going to need to do something about the rad hose. It normally crossed over top of where you alternator is. The only other concern would be the small contact area of the belt to the fan pulley. If you are not going to use mechanical fan no problems.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=956424&highlight=alternator+location&page=2

heres a previous thread about something along the lines of this i was hoping would get picked back up so i'll just throw this in to go along with this.

yea, i'd look at using a tj upper radiator hose, maybe that'd work?
97-99 may be different though

i was looking at doing a 97-99ish tj alternator bracket but (i can't remember) i think i'll loose my clutch fan entirely with the swap and i was planning on not running the idler pully that bolts onto the bracket. the problem i'm having was i don't have faith in running dual electrics, although people do it all the time, i just have more trust in a mechanical and 1 electric.

Also the 06-00ish tj's i guess use a different alternator bracket, one with a belt tensioner on it. 00-06 also have like a idler pulley that bolts into the head or something (i can't remember for sure) ne ways i also looked at a old 80 something comanche that had a 2.5 in it and it had a higher mounting alternator but i believe it ran a clutch fan in the middle off the water pump, and i believe no electric fan, which i remember my 87 mj w/ the 4.0l i believe it came factory with just a clutch fan, which ideally shouldn't be sufficient? they are thermostatic clutch fans, don't they like fully lock in when that thermostat on the front of the fan clutch get so hot? (i'm asking)

Any ways i was personally thinking of running the 97 era tj alternator bracket (which i heard is different on the 4cylinders but dunno for sure) and i still haven't checked out the yj 2.5 brackets which i believe i was told to do. My planned belt routing was going to be along the lines of stock but instead going to the new alternator location minus the clutch fan as i noticed in a picture of a rig build this guy nate did in his "tube time build on "great lakes 4x4"(http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=106645 ), he told me he custom made the bracket but it be like the same idea. yea so minus the ac and the clutch fan. i like this too though and it got me rethinking my idea but about to do some more research

Last edited:
Back