• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

finished engine swap, elec/ gauge issue

shmoken875

NAXJA Forum User
Buddy's 97 xj blew up the 4.0. Found a 96 4.0 at the junkyard; when pulled it had good oil pressure. After 16hrs we got everything swapped over, and it fired right up and ran smooth around the neighborhood. BUT about 1 second after start up the voltage, and oil pressure gauges read 0, Gas/Tach/Speed/Temp all work fine. Voltage initially reads correct, then goes to 0, and oil pressure gauge never has a chance to read. Any ideas?

Make sure the ground strap from the head to the firewall is intact.

look close! I went through hell with a high idle problem after an engine swap, ended up being one of the wires going from the harness to the dipstick was damaged. Its as easy as that! Make sure the engine to firewall ground is goos ,as well as the main ground, I even addeda couple for the hell of it.

Have you a battery charging problem or is only a gauge issue?
No it was charging, was just the gauge. He just called me though and said the voltage gauge is working fine now. Had him go back to the yard and pull the oil pressure sending unit off the crap 97 motor this evening, and we'll see if that works, maybe the 96 unit got damaged on the ride from the yard.

EVERYTHING FIXED! THANKS! Voltage gauge worked itself out, and somehow the oil pressure sending unit died between the junkyard and his house. The yard let him have the one back off his 97. Sure feels good to get everything working right.

Back