• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual to Auto conversion

abc20abc

NAXJA Forum User
How hard of a job would this be?
What parts would I need?
How about the tcm? and any other wiring?

If you're wondering why I'm considering this is because I might need a new trans anyways and I had too many manual vehicles and want a change. (No, I don't offroad that much, so I can get by with an auto.)

Thanks in advance!

What year(s)?

I did this conversion. My jeep is a 92 and I put a 96 AW4 in it. How big a job it is realy depends on how much experience you have with this stuff. I have never done anything quite like this so it took me a long time. Pulling the manual trans out and removing the flywheel is not that big a deal. I found the most challenging part was the wiring. If possible get a manual for each year, your jeep and the year of the trans if they are different. If possible get everything you can get your hands on that is from the donar vehicle. Drive shafts, computer and wiring connectors, console, shift lever and linkage etc.

I did this conversion. My jeep is a 92 and I put a 96 AW4 in it. How big a job it is realy depends on how much experience you have with this stuff. I have never done anything quite like this so it took me a long time. Pulling the manual trans out and removing the flywheel is not that big a deal. I found the most challenging part was the wiring. If possible get a manual for each year, your jeep and the year of the trans if they are different. If possible get everything you can get your hands on that is from the donar vehicle. Drive shafts, computer and wiring connectors, console, shift lever and linkage etc.
I read up on the wiring, and I don't think I want to get into this project since as of now this is my only vehicle. I'll stick with the ax-15 for now.

Converting in an OBD-II vehicle is a huge headache - start by finding a PCM for your year in an auto. I don't recall if you have a separate TCU or not (I'm thinking not...) if you have - that's an underdash harness (at least!) as well.

It's honestly easier to go the other way, unless you want to go with a "manumatic" AW4 - no clutch, but you have full manual control and have to shift it yourself.

It's up to you.

Back