• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my brake switch after 95+ xj booster upgrade

IRPancake

NAXJA Forum User
I spent a few hours fiddling with the old one, what a stupid design. I realized that it wasn't worth my time, so I ran up to radio shack and bought a $2.XX momentary switch. All I had to do was dremel out some of the rubber on the backing pad, and drill the square hole in the pedal to 1/2" and spliced it into the wiring. 30 minutes and I have a fully functional brake light again.

I ended up taking off too much rubber though, but just layered some electrical tape back on. The switch acted different when the car was on, when its off the button would sometimes get stuck on but when it relaxed it turned back off. I may have to pull a piece of tape or 2. Alot of trial and error but still alot easier than becomming a pretzel to mess with the stock one.

brakeswitch001.jpg

brakeswitch002.jpg

Last edited:
good idea, I messed with mine for a good while, and instead went with a pressure actuated inline switch. I really wanted to make sure the lights worked properly and didn't stick on or not work.

Probably the easiest solution, but the junkyard I pulled it from is 45 mins away, has an entrance fee, and then I'd have to buy more parts, THEN theres an 'enviromental fee'. I'll stick with the <$3 switch until it fails :heart:

just wanted to share my idea, I'm sure its been done before but if you dont feel like screwing around with it, this is probably the easier way to go.

I think theres a TV show in here somewhere,"Are you dumber than a brake light switch"!!

the brakes were squishy and had several inches of play before they grabbed. I read a post on here saying bleeding the rears would help because the old fluid in the lines just compresses wasting the pressure. Bled them and the brakes are awesome, feel like a newer car instead of some 20 year old hunk of metal :p

wished I would have thought of this before I pulled everything in and out trying to grind my brake switch perfect 5 times. what a pita!

Back