• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 wheel drive

Superflie

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so i went through and my vacuum is perfect now on my system, i checked my shift motor and it's working right, i have about 13-17 pressure on my vacuum. I have one last question, the shift coller on the dana 30 on the fron end, it wont shift unless i move one of the front tires one way or the other, i think when the last person changed the wheel hub bearings he put the shift collar in backwards, is it tapered on the inside on one of the sides? If anyone has a pic of the inside of the bearing, it would be greatly appreciated.

ok, that gear is fine, but i'm not getting enough pressure to push it over onto the other side, it just clicks like its trying real hard. i drillled a small hole through the casing and the fork, to see if i put a lil pressure on it if it would kick in, and it did. the fork has some play in it which is why i think this is happening. i put it in and pulled it and it went right in, so either the play on the fork or the motor is not strong enough to push it in.

From the FSM 1990:

Raise and support the vehicle. Disconnect the vacuum harness from the axle shift motor and connect a vacuum pump to the vacuum shift motor front port.

Apply 15 in. Hg of vacuum to the front port and rotate the right front wheel to fully disengage the outer and intermediate axle shafts (i.e., shift to two-wheel drive operation).

The shift motor should maintain the vacuum applied to the front port for a minimum of 30 seconds. If the motor does not maintain the vacuum, replace it. If the motor maintains the vacuum proceed to the next step.

Disconnect the vacuum pump from the vacuum shift motor front port. Connect the vacuum pump to the vacuum shift motor rear port, cap the port for the indicator lamp switch, and apply 15 in. Hg of vacuum to the rear port.

The shift motor should maintain the vacuum applied to the rear port for a minimum of 30 seconds. If the shift motor does not maintain the vacuum, replace it. It the motor does maintain the vacuum proceed to the next step.

Remove the cap from the port for the indicator lamp switch and determine if vacuum was present at this port. If vacuum was present, the shift motor functions normally. If vacuum was not present, proceed to the next step.

Apply 15 in. Hg vacuum to the rear port of the shift motor. Rotate the right front wheel as necessary and ensure that the outer and intermediate axle shafts are completely engaged. The axles must be completely engaged (i.e., shifted to four wheel drive operation) to open the port for the indicator lamp switch.

Determine if vacuum is present at the port for the indicator lamp switch again. If vacuum was present at the port, the shift motor functions normally. If vacuum was not present at the port, replace the shift motor.

Ok, if at this point it still won't shift correctly you may have a worn shift fork. OEM and replacements are cast and will wear. Posi-Lok 4x4 makes a cast iron fork, about $55.

Good Luck.

Back