• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust???

Big Kev

NAXJA Forum User
So I ordered a new muffler and tail pipe for the XJ. It came in friday and just for giggles I went to midas to see what they would charge me to put it on. They quoted me $166ish just to put it on. Not including some of the other stuff I wanted done. $166 is more than I payed for the muffler and tail pipe, but ordering it I did get a better price than they could have given me.

Does that sound right? I laughed a little and then told him I was going to go some where else.

I had the exhaust done about 3 years ago, I think I payed about $150 ish to get a new muffler, a hole patched, and a new front hanger (that broke 2 weeks later). Since then I have a hole in the muffler from a rock, it whistles, and I only have one hanger doing its job. The rattling on the cross member is pretty annoying.

I have seen the other threads on what shops to go to, so I am not looking for that, just wondering if the price I was quoted was going to be what I am paying. If it is at least I am prepared to get bent over.

Use clamps and call it a day if you do not have a welder. For my crossmember and rear most hanger I use some of that flexible metal with the holes in it. Can't think of the name.

I went in a Midas once back in the Eightys.. They wanted to charge me like 400 or 500 to replace exhaust on a Merc. Bobcat (small car). I left and never been back to a Midas.

Nick

My friend was the manager at Midas when i went in to get my exhaust put on. He only charged me 60 bucks. Now he is doing alignments at a local shop and i am finishing my BB next week. So, He may be aligning my jeep pretty soon!

I was planning on going to a local non chain shop. I just had the time to stop in and see, if the price was right I would have had them do it. I will be running around on monday, I would rather give my money to the local guys any way.

I was fairly happy with our local Midas, had them do some work on my GTO when I still had it and my Trans Am. Took my XJ in after I got it since the exhaust was pretty much gone (bad motor mounts), only after $230 for a new exhaust did they tell me my manifold was cracked and it was still loud as hell. "Thanks guys..." :doh:

Local places > franchised places, generally. Ask around at work or ask some local Jeepers where they go to get stuff done, under $50 would be reasonable to install all of that I would think. Some of the local places are more "emissions ignorant" and will work on stuff without cats or build an exhaust without a cat, if your state doesn't have inspections... I don't condone such behavior, though.

Thanks for the replies. I do have emissions testing here in Colorado, even though, I had no plans on removing the cat.

I did expect around 50 for the install and then some more to fix the front hanger for me. But $166 is way more then I was wanting to pay.

when i had the down pipe made and installed along with a new tail pipe which the shop also made it was only 80.00 for everything, as mentioned before try a non chain shop, you could use a sawzall or cut off whell and install your new muffler and tailpipe your self, suing clamps then take it some where to get it welded, or maybe one of yor riends has a welder or try checking with one of your local 4wheel clubs, someone there would probaly help for a 12 pack

why not install it yourself? is it too cold out? do you have to have it welded?

all you need is a sawzaw/hacksaw and a wrench to tighten the u-bolt clamps. the exhaust on an xj is simple.

Are you in Denver? Dicount Muffler (Chuck) is a great guy. Knows his stuff and treats you right. Just west of I-25 on Evans. 303.756.6656.

He's got a sweet looking full size Jeep pick up, with the bed bobbed, sitting on an Expedition chassis out front.

Last edited:
why not install it yourself? is it too cold out? do you have to have it welded?

all you need is a sawzaw/hacksaw and a wrench to tighten the u-bolt clamps. the exhaust on an xj is simple.

I live in an apartment and I do not have any where to plug in the sawzall. I probably could get it done but it just snowed and I am not interested in laying in a puddle to do it. I will spend the $50 or so to get it done.

Are you in Denver? Dicount Muffler (Chuck) is a great guy. Knows his stuff and treats you right. Just west of I-25 on Evans. 303.756.6656.

He's got a sweet looking full size Jeep pick up, with the bed bobbed, sitting on an Expedition chassis out front.

I am in Lakehood. I will check him out tomorrow. Thanks.

Back