• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for the gear guys

pecsxj

NAXJA Forum User
Here's my situation. I got an axle from a guy and it already has a Detroit locker in it. It is a c8.25, the same as the one I already have. They also have the same gear ratio. I was going to just swap the axles but it turns out that there are a few problems with the new axle. So can I just take the Detroit out of the one swap the ring gear from the old one and put the locker in or is there allot of other stuff involved ie. shims, backlash etc. I have never done anything involving axles so I would appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

I have never done anything involving axles so I would appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

No you can not. a ring and pinion and "mated for life" I know people who have done it, but you don't want to be like them.
You will have to do a complete ring and pinion swap.
What is so bad with the new one that it ant be used?

You don't need to do a complete r/p swap to install your "new" Detroit. If you have access to or know someone that has a dial indicator (and knows how to use it) check the backlash on the gearset that's in the axle on your Jeep, record that (write it down). Remove the Detroit from the other axle and bolt "your" ring gear onto it, now install the Detroit with your ring gear back into your axle and adjust the side gear adjusters (the C 8.52 has threaded adjusters to set the backlash) until you achieve the desired (the value you wrote down) backlash and you should be good. Since you're not touching the pinion gear, pinion depth won't be changed and wont require any adjustments however, carrier bearing preload will need to be paid attention to so, get a feel for how tight the adjusters were screwed in and try and get them the same when you put it back together. If this dosen't sound like something you want to tackle you'd better take it to a shop that deals with gears......it'll probably cost you a couple of bills to have it done. Good luck!---------Hans

if you just throw the detroit in the axle you have, you at least won't have to set the pinion depth again.

Here's my situation. I got an axle from a guy and it already has a Detroit locker in it. It is a c8.25, the same as the one I already have.
There are 2 axle sizes for C-8.25, 27 spline and 29 spline. If your axles are matched(both 27 sp, or both 29 sp) the carrier(locker in this case) will swap between them. If the axle spline count is different, you can still use the detroit, but you will also have to swap axles(and maybe axle bearings, not sure)
So can I just take the Detroit out of the one swap the ring gear from the old one and put the locker in or is there allot of other stuff involved ie. shims, backlash etc.
When you pull the carrier on the 8.25, you have to reset backlash, due to the above mentioned screw adjusters. The good news is because there are screw adjusters, you don't have to mess with shims. You do have to get or make an adjuster tool(you get a front spindle nut and weld it to a 3 foot long steel hex rod) Search around here and you'll find a lot of info on it. It's not that hard to do(the lash and preload adjustment) The most fun is getting the ring gear bolts loose:D

No you can not. a ring and pinion and "mated for life" I know people who have done it, but you don't want to be like them.
You will have to do a complete ring and pinion swap.
What is so bad with the new one that it ant be used?

Well i am going to keep the ring and pinion together from the same axle. there are multiple problems with it: brakes, drums, shock mounts, leaking pinion seal..... so just a bunch of little things. my current axle is in great condition and it has disc brakes.

Oh, I failed to mention that I have a stock LSD. If that makes a difference.

tbburg, they are both 29 spline. Good looking out though.

Last edited:
Oh, I failed to mention that I have a stock LSD. If that makes a difference.
Won't make any difference. Sounds like you got a Detroit locker and a bunch of spare parts for the price of that axle. Get a good buy on it?

Won't make any difference. Sounds like you got a Detroit locker and a bunch of spare parts for the price of that axle. Get a good buy on it?

I traded my roof rack for the whole axle which had the detroit in it. I got a smokin deal as far as i am concernd, especially since i didn't use it once in the year that i had it. now i just got to do some work. I think I might just take the discs of the one and put them on the new one, than fix the shock mount. I am not sure that the pinion seal is shot but I will soon find out.

Back