• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temperature sensor won't screw all the way into thermostat housing

mattbred

NAXJA Forum User
I got a later model (91+) thermostat housing to replace my RENIX one so I can put in a temperature sensor to control my fans.

I got the sensor (Niehoff TS25261) and it won't screw in all the way. There's about three to four threads that are visible when it tightens up. Is this normal for the housing or should I return it and get a different one from the junkyard?

It also had the stock temperature sensor in it as well and it's the same story, about 3-4 threads showing and it tightens up.

Kinda like you see here:

07.jpg

It's a pipe thread. Doesn't look like you're bottoming out. As long as it doesn't leak, I think you'll be fine.

What does being a pipe thread mean? Tapered?

Here's my actual housing and sensor:

thermo1os9.jpg

That's tightened up all the way it can be.

thermo2jj7.jpg

That's the sensor itself.

Was just wondering if that's normal for the housing, or if mine is somehow screwed up?

Yes, the hole should be tapered, just like on water pipes. The tube on the water pump is similar. Otherwise, there would be a gasket of some kind.

Yes, the hole should be tapered, just like on water pipes. The tube on the water pump is similar. Otherwise, there would be a gasket of some kind.

Ahh okay that makes sense then. I'll just put on some teflon tape and hope it doesn't leak. Thanks for the quick answers.

On mine the sensor bottoms out against the other side before it is fully threaded. I believe this is why the computer thinks the temperature is always 15 degrees cooler than the gauge--the sensor touches the outer wall of the housing which is aluminum, so it is cooler than the fluid.

FWIW no need for pipe tape, just some ultra blue RTV works fine for me.

Use ultra copper RTV if it is a self grounding sensor, if not then high temp RTV is the way to go.

Yeah, it has two wires, so it's not self grounding. Teflon tape (1 1/2 wraps) is the best. If it bottoms out, the threads won't be tight. In that case, try an extra wrap or 2 of teflon tape so that the tapered threads tighten up good before anything else bottoms.

How are you wiring up the sensor?

I used a similar setup on my Bronco, but I used the sensor to trip a relay so that the load wasn't on the sensor itself--fried two sensors before I figured that one out.

How are you wiring up the sensor?

I used a similar setup on my Bronco, but I used the sensor to trip a relay so that the load wasn't on the sensor itself--fried two sensors before I figured that one out.

It's through a relay. Basically instead of using the RENIX rad-switch I'm using the thermostat one to control the relay.

Back