• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade Bumper

t_aldrich

NAXJA Forum User
Well there are pics and a bit of description of this project in the NAC section, but i figured id post up in another section.

The bumper was homemade, however not originally by me, but modified by me.

The first step in my project was mounting. i looked around at some unibody tie in plates but i didnt have an extra $60 bucks to drop so i made my own.

bumperbrackets003.jpg

bumperbrackets004.jpg

The missing bolts are now installed. They were pretty simple to make. I first made cardboard templates then traced it onto the 1/4in plate. Then cut and drilled. Only one steering box bolt broke on installation and is now replaced with a nice grade 8.

Then the bumper got welded on and painted. Final step was making a light bar and wiring in my new hellas.

hellawired001.jpg

hellawired002.jpg

hellawired014.jpg

Switch placement
hellawired003.jpg

All in all a pretty fun and easy project. nothing too special. lemme know what you guys think!

Need alot more info/pics.Your d-rings look like they are just surface mounted since they are not located over/to the mounting plates.

^ X2.
Let's see more pics!

~Scott

I've used those d-rings on huge car trailers and dump trucks before. They work fine surface mounted, but the base must be able to withstand whatever is pulling on it, and you MUST have a big welder. I used a millermatic 251, which could easily burn through 3/16". No way in hell I would trust my little 140 with those...

Just build pics and material used.

Errrrr;... Not related but,

That hammock and the snow,... 'kinda look out a place'.

Just build pics and material used.

no build pics really. i bought the bumper off another member with no mounts at all. i made those mounts out of some scrap 1/4 and cut slots in the back of the bumper to weld to

The light bar i added and is made from just angle iron and i drilled and tapped two holes in the bumper. 7/16 14 . and bolted it together.

bumperwelds004.jpg

bumperwelds005.jpg

bumperwelds006.jpg

no build pics really. i bought the bumper off another member with no mounts at all. i made those mounts out of some scrap 1/4 and cut slots in the back of the bumper to weld to

The light bar i added and is made from just angle iron and i drilled and tapped two holes in the bumper. 7/16 14 . and bolted it together.

bumperwelds004.jpg

bumperwelds005.jpg

bumperwelds006.jpg
Are the welds in the first picture part of the mounting plate you made. I wouldn't run those welds on my rig. I'm not trying to sound mean or degrade you but they don't look good at all. Looks like a couple of them where done in the vertical down position. If they were done in the vertical down position they need to be cut out and welded again.

Are the welds in the first picture part of the mounting plate you made. I wouldn't run those welds on my rig. I'm not trying to sound mean or degrade you but they don't look good at all. Looks like a couple of them where done in the vertical down position. If they were done in the vertical down position they need to be cut out and welded again.

Thanks for the suggestion, i didnt do the welding. however i trust them. ill let you know how it holds up when tugged on....

x2, I'm not saying I am a welding genious, however those are some nasty looking caulk beads. ...looks like one pass... not enough heat... went too fast. Perhaps just wire wheel the paint and put two slow passes on either side of the current blobs.

Better safe than sorry, especially if you might yank on it.

x2, I'm not saying I am a welding genious, however those are some nasty looking caulk beads. ...looks like one pass... not enough heat... went too fast. Perhaps just wire wheel the paint and put two slow passes on either side of the current blobs.

Better safe than sorry, especially if you might yank on it.

well i think he may have been rushing....

when it comes off for a through clean and paint ill hit them again myself.

^ Those are DEFINITELY not flux core hahaha. Although good idea, flux core does burn a little hotter. What gas were you using? Argon? Co2? A mixture? Pure Co2 splatters like crazy, but will normally penetrate much deeper. Argon is just the opposite, looks nicer but not as deep. I think my tank is 60% Co2, 40% Argon.

Back