• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JB Conversions SYE

Tim00XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if the speedo gear needs a retaining ring so it does not move around on the spline shaft. There's no mention of it in the instructions but it seems like it'd move around.

I believe this is the reason my speedometer is not working due to the fact that it's shifting up and down the spline shaft. It's the NP231J HD SYE kit.

NO,there is no c-clip after the spiral gear.Did you install it in the right direction?Did you index the speedo housing correctly?

Yes, I installed the speed gear and put it in the right direction. The instructions said to put the larger "smoothed" end facing down, but it didn't look like there was a difference between the two sides. Therefore, I just looked at the picture and how the actual splines were on the speedo gear.

What do you mean by indexing the speedo housing correctly? If I did put a c-clip after the speed gear, do I need to remove it?

if i didn't put one there, i would have had an extra one. are you sure your speedo gear is fully seated
in the housing? i had to rotate mine a bunch of times to get it seated deep enough

What do you mean by indexing the speedo housing correctly?
The sensor has to be rotated to the proper position in order to engage the helical gear on the output shaft.

Have you installed one?

Yeah. Did mine a couple weeks ago actually, and my kit included an extra clip. The two clips held the speedo gear tightly in place.

Other SYE's might not be this way but my JB sure was.

you can see the two spots for clips here:

IMG_2455.JPG

Last edited:
Mines a JB kit also.Here are the instructions at the bottom of the page,its not shown there?The groove your refering to gets covered up by the gear.If you still think you put one in there you might want to redo the rear tailcone assembly!
http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/products/np231/np231j_std_sye.html
fig18.jpg

My speedo gear wasn't nearly that big. I'm willing to bet they have trimmed it down so a c clip could be installed there. In your case the bearing would hold the gear in place. However, in my case the gear could slide up and down the remaining splines. It's entirely possible they have changed the design, but never updated the instructions. Like the OP my speedo gear had no "short side." Both sides of the gear have the same size lip.

When did you do your install? My kit is less than a month old.

The yoke because there's a lip on the outer casing that prevents it from going in that far. When I took the speedo housing off, I was able to move the blue gear back and forth a good inch and a half or so.

I'm taking it into the local garage that specializes in Jeeps and am going to see what to do.

Its sounds like they may have changed the gear.My kit is 8yrs old,but it still had the cut in the shaft as pictured.
Got any pics?

Last edited:
Its sounds like they may have changed the gear.My kit is 8yrs old,but it still had the cut in the shaft as pictured.

I'm willing to bet they've changed it because people continually we're putting the gear upside down. Now it would be impossible.

Tim...

Did your kit include an extra C clip? If you can source one, I'd just install it on the end of the gear, reinstall the tail cone, and adjust the speedo so the gear lash is correct. Easy peasy.

I just received an e-mail from JB and they said that there was supposed to be a c-clip on both sides of the speedo gear. So, yes, I did put a c-clip after the speedo gear as well.

They must have changed the design of the speedo gear without updating the instructions. There seemed to be too much movement for the sensor to get a correct reading.

Back