• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix Cold Miss

88XJSport

NAXJA Forum User
What would cause my 88 4.0 Renix to miss when I first start it on a cold morning (20*)? Its not a violent miss, but it seems like a cylinder misses every few seconds. After 2 or so minutes it clears up. Plugs and wires, cap and rotor changed last summer, injectors this past fall, Fuel pump changed 3 weeks ago, IAC changed last Sunday.

Any ideas?

on cold start, the Renix also "double fires" the injectors to help richen the mixture-- if one injector were gummed up and unable to flow as much fuel as the others, you'd get a misfire/ weak cylinder compared to the others.

a miss is fuel or spark related and can also be a sensor or ground problem.

my 89 would stall out(if i dont give it gas and let it idle on its own) after the first start when cold or have a slight miss if it didnt stall because i gave it gas. if it stalled after the first and had to restart, everything was fine. it was only a problem on the first start when below 35 degrees.

what cured that problem for me was most likely a combination of a few things. i readjusted the tps and verified it had a good ground(terminal b), did a top end cleaning with seafoam, cleaned the throttle body and iac, and cleaned the ground wire that comes out of the main wiring loom going into the firewall near the booster. the wire coming out of that big wire loom is a black ground wire in front of the winshield washer resivoir and goes to the driverside fenderwall in the engine bay(ive owned the xj since 1990 and never noticed this ground wire). i also cleaned the ground that is under the coolant expansion tank bracket. i already have a second ground strap at the back of the head to firewall.

since i did all this last year(along with cap, rotor, and champion plugs) it starts up fine and will idle perfect without any stalling or miss fire when its cold out.

a miss is fuel or spark related and can also be a sensor or ground problem.

my 89 would stall out(if i dont give it gas and let it idle on its own) after the first start when cold or have a slight miss if it didnt stall because i gave it gas. if it stalled after the first and had to restart, everything was fine. it was only a problem on the first start when below 35 degrees.

what cured that problem for me was most likely a combination of a few things. i readjusted the tps and verified it had a good ground(terminal b), did a top end cleaning with seafoam, cleaned the throttle body and iac, and cleaned the ground wire that comes out of the main wiring loom going into the firewall near the booster. the wire coming out of that big wire loom is a black ground wire in front of the winshield washer resivoir and goes to the driverside fenderwall in the engine bay(ive owned the xj since 1990 and never noticed this ground wire). i also cleaned the ground that is under the coolant expansion tank bracket. i already have a second ground strap at the back of the head to firewall.

since i did all this last year(along with cap, rotor, and champion plugs) it starts up fine and will idle perfect without any stalling or miss fire when its cold out.

Thanks so much man! As soon as I can get my XJ in a warm garage, Im gonna do all this.

Thanks again!

Back