• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice on brakes!!

Kbarnes88

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a 1988 cherokee, my issue is that my brake pedal goes all the way to the floor with absolutely no resistance. I have brand new pads front and rear, my lines are bled, and I'm full on fluid. I was told I could upgrade my booster/master cylinder assembly to a Grand Cherokee booster and master. Is this true? If so what years are a direct swap?
Thank you in advance,
Kyle.

if your going to replace the master booster set up you should go to the WJ conversion. It is a little more complicated on the renex models than the HO due to the brake light switch. It can be done in about 3 hours including the bleeding.

are you sure the system has been bled properly? Rears first, then fronts. If you are still getting any air in the lines, the pedal will do that.

Have a 95 six. Has been running great. Recently the Dash Break light came on. Checked the reservoir and topped it up. About a week later the light came on and the reservoir was empty. Topped it up again and The light went out. stops good on the road. Now the light is on again and the reservoir is dry. No stains in the drive way or in the lot at work. But its going somewhere. Any ideas?

Check under the dash at the brake pedal pushrod that come through the firewall. Look for dampness chances are if have no leaks at your wheels cylinders its leaking inside the vehicle or in the vacuum booster.

Now the light is on again and the reservoir is dry. No stains in the drive way or in the lot at work. But its going somewhere. Any ideas?

nice hijack, btw...
obviously, if you ran the reservoir dry, you must fully re-bleed the brakes...., you obviously have a leak somewhere, have an assistant stand on the brake pedal while you look for leaks... it will leak worse under harder pressure...

OH, and non-op that sucker before you get into an accident... dont mess around when it comes to brakes. i dont care if it's your DD.

nice hijack, btw...
obviously, if you ran the reservoir dry, you must fully re-bleed the brakes...., you obviously have a leak somewhere, have an assistant stand on the brake pedal while you look for leaks... it will leak worse under harder pressure...

OH, and non-op that sucker before you get into an accident... dont mess around when it comes to brakes. i dont care if it's your DD.

X2!!!!!:twak:

Look for wetness around the piston dust boots (on the fronts) Mine had a blown seal and the fluid was just pooling in in the dust boot.....

i LOVE MY wj BOOSTER/MASTER CYL. CONVERSION. Pedestrians used to see my face clear into the windshield when they stepped off the curb from me having to stand up with both feet on the brake pedal trying to stop my 35" tires. Now with the WJ, they see my face in the windshield because it stops faster than my seat belt can hold me!

I was just wondering if any one on this thread knows if a 1995 -1997 grand cherokee booster and mc will work or should I stick with the 99 and up models? I have a 1990 xj, I went from abs to non-abs and now need something more.

Back