• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Steering Box Upgrades?

PSC, AGR and I think there is another company as well.

Dodge durango is one option direct bolt in do a search on it.

Does anyone make an upgraded steering box for the XJ/TJ?

[FONT=&quot]
After installing two rebuilt boxes that were almost as bad as the original worn out box, I installed a PSC box and pump.
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/sg621m-tj-xj-yj-xtreme-duty-steering-gear-p-88.html
Now I can steer 33"s around rocks with two fingers.

Like the Durrango box, it's has a bigger cylinder and required a little extra spacing between it and the frame. With a C-ROK steering plate, it required an additional washer between the box and plate.[/FONT]

Here is a writeup I did on Cherokeeforum.com on my Durango Box install. http://www.cherokeeforum.com/showthread.php?t=3805 HTH
Okay, I'm digging up an oldie with a question for 99XJLove. I read your write-up, actually the best one I've seen for this particular mod - and the pics still work. Anyway, my question: That company you bought the part from ... how was the box itself? I see they only sell "used" parts, not reman, and I'm a bit concerned about a part from a 10 year old vehicle that has not been "refreshed" (seals, etc.) I'm actually thinking about getting the box from them.

another upgrade aside from Durango box is the J20 box

I just swapped mine out for a YJ box and I love it. Stronger unit, 4 bolt mounting so it's anchored better, tighter ratio. Plus I got the T&T inner plate for the YJ box.

I got mine for $70 shipped with 86k on it

Okay, I'm digging up an oldie with a question for 99XJLove. I read your write-up, actually the best one I've seen for this particular mod - and the pics still work. Anyway, my question: That company you bought the part from ... how was the box itself? I see they only sell "used" parts, not reman, and I'm a bit concerned about a part from a 10 year old vehicle that has not been "refreshed" (seals, etc.) I'm actually thinking about getting the box from them.

First of all thanks for the compliment. I use write ups for 90% of my upgrades, just because i'm a do-it-yourselfer and realize the importance of a thurough explanation. Expecially with pics!

As for my durango box from Everdrive I have not had any problems. They are actually rebuilt boxes from what I understood. When the box came to me it had all sorts of markings on it as if it had been rebuilt. Not any markings signifying that it was pulled from a scrapyard and stored on a shelf. Plus the lifetime warranty is top notch. I though my box had already gone bad so I called them with the complaint. They had a new one to me in 2 or 3 days. Plus payed the shipping on the old box. Shame to say that when I put the new one in I still had the popping and clunking sound. Ended up being my trac-bar mount at the frame side loosening up!

were there any internals you had to change on the durango box or strictly just unbolt from a dodge and plop it in the xj?

the JCR offer steering box bracing kit that will make the YJ steering box to bolt right on no problem.

also they claims that the YJ box have fixed steering ratio which the XJ is a bit different that it have different ratio throughout the steering cycle.

First of all thanks for the compliment. I use write ups for 90% of my upgrades, just because i'm a do-it-yourselfer and realize the importance of a thurough explanation. Expecially with pics!

As for my durango box from Everdrive I have not had any problems. They are actually rebuilt boxes from what I understood. When the box came to me it had all sorts of markings on it as if it had been rebuilt. Not any markings signifying that it was pulled from a scrapyard and stored on a shelf. Plus the lifetime warranty is top notch. I though my box had already gone bad so I called them with the complaint. They had a new one to me in 2 or 3 days. Plus payed the shipping on the old box. Shame to say that when I put the new one in I still had the popping and clunking sound. Ended up being my trac-bar mount at the frame side loosening up!
A few days ago some lady on Everdrive spent several minutes explaining to me that their stuff is not reman, and that used is better. She could not explain to me how I can be confident of the seals & gears on a 10 y.o. box that has not been refreshed. She lost them the sale: bought mine elsewhere 2 days ago & it goes in next week.

I'm glad you had a good experience with them. Happy endings rock.

Back