• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thick Gears

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a Track Loc'd 3.54 geared D44 in my '96, I'm planning to mount 33's so, regearing is also in the plan (I've decided to go with 4.88s). Money is tight and a rear Detroit is desired as well as a front Truetrac. I was thinking about getting the Truetrac when I regear but keeping the rear Track Loc for awhile (due to costs) and using a set of "thick" gears to offset the cost of a new carrier and swap it out with a Detroit when (more) funds become available. Anybody have any experience going this route? Seems to me that the thicker ring gear mounted on a 3 series carrier would be stronger anyway. Am I I correct in my thinking or, should I just hold out for the total package? There's also a No Slip available for the Track Loc carrier. What do you think?---------Hans

The cost of the re-set up when changing the carrier later will off set the "savings" of now.Do it once, do it right.Save up and put in the Detroit and gears at the same time.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
The cost of the re-set up when changing the carrier later will off set the "savings" of now.Do it once, do it right.Save up and put in the Detroit and gears at the same time.
Wayne

X2
Although if you like the No Slip, your plan B sounds pretty good.

Last edited:
Wayne Sihler said:
Wayne
This won't be an issue.....I do my own set up besides, I wouldn't have to reset the pinion depth-------Hans

There is nothing technicaly wrong that I can think of. My Isuzu 44 came with thick gears on a small break carrier. Rubicons and Corvetts are set up the same way. I removed my stuff and put in standard gears and a high break carrier for my 4.88s. I don't think the setup will be any stronger. Teeth break and shear, the ring isn't going to just snap, but now I'm getting picky.

All I can say is that I went standard when I regeared just so I didn't have to worry about thinck gears in the future and so I didn't have to explain to everyone where ever I went what my set up was. It is a non-standard setup and will limit options in the future compared with the usual stuff.

Since I was regearing my front too, I put in a Truetrac. I am going to put a D44 in later, but figured I would get my use out of it, and still be able to get some money out of it later. It is no locker, but is better than open. I'm happy.

I would think thick gears might actually be a little stronger? Little thicker, less deflection?

Ok so tell me about "thick gears" i want to go to 4.11 gears in my 94 XJ.

i'm happy with the open front diff and the rear trac lok but as i tow a boat i cant go to 31 inch tyres without overloading the motor....and a gear change would be perfect, without the expense of new carriers or lockers.

i understand the concept, but were do i look to find them

Regards Ewen

Yukon Axle and Gear has tons of "thick" gears.

Thanks for the tip i've searched around but i am having difficulty pin pointing what i want........1994 Cherokee D30 front D35 rear currently have 3.55 gears and i want 4.10 or 4.11 and "thich gears" seems to be the answear
does anyone have a link or part numbers

Regards Ewen

bobb said:
I would think thick gears might actually be a little stronger? Little thicker, less deflection?
myth...
the deflection is not in the gearset itself that you need to worry about. the deflection is in the housing and the bearings. Thats why preloading the carrier bearings is so critical.
Thick gears will work fine, nothing wrong with your idea. since you do the setup yourself your only concern is time.

your SOL for thick gears for either. but a D35 has a different carrier break @ 3.55 and # higher. since you have 3.55's you allready have the right carrier for 4.11's. :gee:
up front your just plan SOL. so cough up the half a benji and get a new carrier.
Ewenm said:
Thanks for the tip i've searched around but i am having difficulty pin pointing what i want........1994 Cherokee D30 front D35 rear currently have 3.55 gears and i want 4.10 or 4.11 and "thich gears" seems to be the answear
does anyone have a link or part numbers

Regards Ewen

Rawbrown said:
myth...
the deflection is not in the gearset itself that you need to worry about. the deflection is in the housing and the bearings. Thats why preloading the carrier bearings is so critical.
Thick gears will work fine, nothing wrong with your idea. since you do the setup yourself your only concern is time.

gotcha

Back