• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

putting on gas tank skid - change fuel pump first?

wolverine 00 xj

NAXJA Forum User
I'll be putting on a gas tank skid soon on my 2000 XJ, 4" of lift. I currently have no fuel pump issues, but I was wondering if I should replace the fuel pump before making it harder to get at with the skid plate. My first thought is to let sleeping dogs lie . . .

Lol, if you think taking the skid off is rough, you probably should not even attempt
the fuel pump swap. Once you add skids taking them off is going to become routine.

X2 I think you will be fine, I mean if you were having any fuel pump problems it would be obvious to change it out but your fuel pump could last you another 10 years before it croaks just seems unnecessary to spend the money on a new one when you currently have no problems

I changed the filters which are on the sending unit inside the tank on my '98 (2 pcs ... and they call 'em 'screens' at the parts store) ... and to be honest, i don't think it was really necessary ... when I got the old ones out, they didn't seem too bad.

i did it cuz i was diagnosing some engine problems .... but otherwise i would say don't worry about it

I know this is old but... why? how come you take it off that often. just wondering. im about to start looking into getting one

...Skid plates cover all your mechanical parts to protect them. In order to perform any maintaince/inspection of said mechanical parts the skids have to come off. In a very short time you will become a pro is removing them.

...Skid plates cover all your mechanical parts to protect them. In order to perform any maintaince/inspection of said mechanical parts the skids have to come off. In a very short time you will become a pro is removing them.

how often are you in there checkin your fuel pump

Leave it alone. It doesn't take more than a minute or two to drop the skid anyway. You're adding maybe 1% more time to how long it takes to replace a pump.

Let's face it, replacing a fuel pump sucks whether there's a skid there or not, and adding a skid isn't going to make it any worse.

Back