• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

9" or 10" Brakes?

randyf

NAXJA Forum User
I have to change my passenger rear wheel cylinder and need to find out my XJ has 9" or 10" brakes. Is there a way to tell without taking everything apart, like from the VIN, ect?

From what I have read on hear if your brake line going into the wheel cylinder is going in at 90 degrees it's a 9". If the line goes in at a 45 degree you have 10". You can tell this without even removing the wheel and tire.

to my understanding this is how it goes

84-90 10" all axle's

90-01 10" for cryco8.25 and 9" for dana 35

my 98 with an 8.25 rear has 10" drums

my friends 96 with an 8.25 had 10" too

that information is from a haynes manual personal experience and here, naxja

-Dylan

to my understanding this is how it goes

84-90 10" all axle's

90-01 10" for cryco8.25 and 9" for dana 35

my 98 with an 8.25 rear has 10" drums

my friends 96 with an 8.25 had 10" too

that information is from a haynes manual personal experience and here, naxja

-Dylan

I just put my old drums off of my old 93' 8.25 on to my new 97' 8.25.

8.25 can have either 9inch or 10 inch, depending on how it was spec'ed out. Best thing to do is measure before buying shoes.

Thanks this helps me out too.

Here is the difference in the sizes. Just so you know that the 10" are the used. The 9" are brand new. I was told when you buy shoes you should get the ones that are not glued together. Like the 9" are. You should get the ones that riveted together. Like the 10" are. Look at the holes. When offroading and using them often the glue could come apart with the heat. The brakes won't cool down at slow speeds like it should.
IMG_2388.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2390.jpg

Back