• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel pump sending unit

lenny

NAXJA Forum User
HELP!! Sending Unit#2

My 89 comanche has had the gas tank and sending unit out for about 5
months. I was patching up and closeing all the holes.
Been flat & out with a bad back. Today I tried to sart it.
Nothing engine turns but no fuel.
I check the fuel rod bleeder and nothing came out.
The 2 lines from the tank (sending unit) one is bigger
its the out one and the return is the smaller size,
correct?
Also checked the out line of the fuel filter no gas!
I turned the key on and I don't notice any sound
from the sending unit.
Is there a test for this, if there is how? Are the hoses
correct? Are there any fuses for the sending unit?
I also disconnected and reconnected the map.

Well you can check and see if the relay is working

power_latch_272c.gif

That should get you started.

You may want to check the resistor on the drivers side fender, I don't remember the specs right off hand but you should be able to find it on here somewhere.

Dane

Last edited:
Still need help Re: Fuel pump sending unit

I'd check for juice at the fuel pump and work my way forward to the relay (if no juice at pump).

Ok now that the weather has warm up a little (16F)I've taken the fuel pump out of the tank.
I checked the relay and it clicks. I checked the fues link and thats ok. I checked under the truck and were the harness connects to the fuel pump there is power only to the red wire.

I believe the red or orange is the hot and the black should be the ground. I have a test light and had a pal turn on the key and I only get a light from the red to a ground, on the transfer case. Then when I connect to the black ground and the red while someone turns the key I get nothing, no light.
Any ideas out there? Is there another test or a pressure switch?
I replaced my bed with a wooden bed would this be any reason I don't have a ground?

I have two pumps both used. When I connected to the battery I get a low noise on one and on the other I get a loud noise. Thats connecting the red to the pos post and the black to the -neg. So this says the louder one is the good pump.
there are a total of 3 wires the other wire is for the float and that works. When I connect to the + pos battery to the red and the -neg to the green or blue the light is on and if I move the float up the light dims and then out.

Back