• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake convesion on 8.25

justkain

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guy's first time post. I bought a used 95 xj with good bones and want to hook the rear end upgrade with a disk conversion. Any good leads on how to do this or what parts are best for a 8.25 rear end?

yeah well doesn't look like anyone has posted anything on here so thought I would post the question. And I did the search several times thanks.

Easiest to do is get ahold of some Grand Cherokee rear backing plates, rotors, and calipers.

You'll have to massage the opening on the backing plate that goes over the axle tube. You may need new brakes lines, although I used the stock ones, bent them upwards, and attached the rubber lines.

Here's a few pics.

100_4851.jpg

100_4857.jpg

100_4866.jpg

I used Crow Vic. disc. Had to open up the centers, same as above. Also had to use adapters for the lines. JIM.

I used a set of drilled and slotted brakes from a crown vic cop car I found in the local junkyard. I welded the backing plate holes, and had new holes cut. I had to open the center of the rotors up, and make minor adjustments to the backing plates. I also made the crown vic emergency brake lines work with the jeep mount. You will need adapters to fit the brake lines. It was more work than I had figured on, but it wasn't difficult, and after pulling the o-ring from the proportioning valve I can lock up a set of 35's.

I used a set of drilled and slotted brakes from a crown vic cop car I found in the local junkyard. I welded the backing plate holes, and had new holes cut. I had to open the center of the rotors up, and make minor adjustments to the backing plates. I also made the crown vic emergency brake lines work with the jeep mount. You will need adapters to fit the brake lines. It was more work than I had figured on, but it wasn't difficult, and after pulling the o-ring from the proportioning valve I can lock up a set of 35's.
Please explain more of this(pulling the o-ring from the proportioning valve)?

Please explain more of this(pulling the o-ring from the proportioning valve)?

All you have to do is take the bleeder off the front of the proportioning valve. There is a spring and valve type assembly inside. On the valve assembly there is a rubber o-ring. Just take it off, and put everything back together. This gives you full line presseure to the rear brakes, or atleast that is the way I understand it, and it works great for me.

All you have to do is take the bleeder off the front of the proportioning valve. There is a spring and valve type assembly inside. On the valve assembly there is a rubber o-ring. Just take it off, and put everything back together. This gives you full line presseure to the rear brakes, or atleast that is the way I understand it, and it works great for me.
drums keep residual pressure in the line. you don't want that with disks, which is another reason to do this mod. you can also grab a prop. valve for a ZJ with disks to use in this application

drums keep residual pressure in the line. you don't want that with disks, which is another reason to do this mod. you can also grab a prop. valve for a ZJ with disks to use in this application

I can't find anything in the ZJ or XJ prop valve (nor the entire braking system) that holds residual pressure to the drum brakes. The ZJ and XJ prop valves are basically the same with the exception of the spring. I know that a lot of sources say that drum brakes need residual pressure, but the XJ has no such device.

Also, removing the o-ring from the prob valve changed from having two separate fluid circuits in the system to one circuit, joining the rear and front. While that wouldn't be a problem normally however, if either teh front or reear loses hydrazine pressure you will have no brakes. The way the stock setup is suppose to work is that if you lose either the front or rear you will still have fluid going to the other.

I would recommend either swapping the whole ZJ prop valve or just the spring instead of removing the o-ring.

WHOA WHOA don't screw with the D35 discs. There was just a guy that bolted up a set of KJ rears. He said it was bolt on and everything. Here I did the search for you.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=977809&highlight=Libery+rear+brakes

I am going to do it if I can find a junkyard KJ this spring. I'm also going to look into redoing the front while I'm at it. I need more stopping power over what I have now. Heavy 33's I can't even lock them up on wet pavement. Thank god I have a 5spd.

Parakeet

Coming up with Liberty brakes at your local pull-a-part is a little more difficult than finding a ZJ with discs. Everything is bolt up with the D35 disc brakes other than having to expand the center hole on the backing plate by about 1/8" all the way around. That is very simple though...

Coming up with Liberty brakes at your local pull-a-part is a little more difficult than finding a ZJ with discs. Everything is bolt up with the D35 disc brakes other than having to expand the center hole on the backing plate by about 1/8" all the way around. That is very simple though...

i don't doubt it is but i was more or less letting him know of an easier option if it was there. i have connections with a mopar bodyshop so thats where i will try and find mine.

parakeet

Back