• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter Relay Bypass

Salty Cracker

NAXJA Forum User
I recently rolled my 99 XJ. After much searching I could not find a late model XJ with a standard. I am currently in the process of taking the parts off my 4x4 and converting an automatic 2 wheel drive. My problem is how to bypass the starter relay. Any "how to" would be greatly appreciated.

I recently rolled my 99 XJ. After much searching I could not find a late model XJ with a standard. I am currently in the process of taking the parts off my 4x4 and converting an automatic 2 wheel drive. My problem is how to bypass the starter relay. Any "how to" would be greatly appreciated.

To do what, exactly? The starter motor relay is a good thing - it takes a fair load off of the START circuit in your ignition switch (about 15A, as I recall.)

What are you trying to do, and why? There may be a better solution...

Do you mean the clutch safety switch? Why would you want to bypass the starter relay? If clutch safety switch, just cut the plug off and twist the wires together. But this should adapt to the neutral safety switch on the automatic.

Cut into and run 12v (I use a pushbutton) to the small wire to the starter. It will bypass the start relay and the NSS. If the NSS is still good, you will not lose the backup lights and everything will be the same except the engine will turn over even without the key in the switch if you hit the button. To start, the key has to be in the run position.

To do what, exactly? The starter motor relay is a good thing - it takes a fair load off of the START circuit in your ignition switch (about 15A, as I recall.)

What are you trying to do, and why? There may be a better solution...

It is the clutch/neutral safety switch that we are attempting to circumvent not the starter solenoid. The automatic wiring harness that we are tieing into has what appears to be a three prong plug at the front of the transmission. I believe this is for the backup lights and neutral safety switch.

If the solution requires wiring the around this plug how do you go about doing it (do you run a wire back to the dash and does this wire require a power wire to work?). Or can the relay switch be pulled in the fuse box and a jumper put in place without compromising the rest of the circuit or computer?

Thanks for the help

Just cut off the plug and splice the ends together. Leave the relay alone.

But there is probably an improved solution to hook the wires up to the NSS. And probably your backup lights too.

You don't have to cut any wires on late model XJ's to bypass the clutch interlock...

To my surprise the factory included this bypass under the dash for you. It is taped under the dash right next to the clutch interlock connector. You just unplug the green connector with the yellow wires and plug it into the other green connector, with the yellow wire looped back to itself.

Ivan

I am converting from automatic to standard. So I need to figure out how to configure the automatic harness. Do I splice the neutral safety switch into the power wire on the plug or do i bring it back to the dash with a manual switch to keep the relay and its function? Are there other safety lock outs that I am missing?

Back