• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

waterproofing

Ritter4.0

NAXJA Forum User
how do you all water proof your fuse boxes, cause i found out today that mine was smoking. I found out when i was changing some fuses that had apparently gotten crushed by the PO's foot. They were so corroded it was amazing that the jeep even ran. So i was wondering what you all do to waterproof them, i was thinking of repositioning it to a higher spot if it was easy enough.

I think i may have left some fuses out, but afterwards, my turn signals do not work, my tranny (manual) feels weak, and my gas guage was way way over to the right. Ill find out tomorrow or thursday if anything is more than a fuse.

What year?, What engine?

Sorry, I missed that you have a manual. Your clutch master cylinder has almost certainly failed one or more times through the years and dumped Dot 3 onto the fuse box. This is corrosive in and of itself plus it attracts moisture that simply destroys fuses and the wiper circuit breaker contacts, as you have observed. This corrosion of the contacts and disintegration of the fuse body occurs without any help from someone's foot.

There are many threads dealing with this but I don't think even the most ambitious poster has suggested moving the box. This would not only be a real pain in the butt job but I'm not sure where you would move it.

If you don't properly flush and clean the panel now, the replacement fuses will almost certainly continue to disintegrate through the years even if you don't get any new fluid on the panel (don't ask me how I know).

Since I never did the job I can't tell you the specifics but it essentially involves flushing the panel with electrical contact cleaner. There are old threads on this but someone can probably fill you in.

I had straight up replaced the fuse panel on my 88 since it was so far gone that there were busted/missing contacts. It took a few hoursto solder in the replacement one but WOW what a difference it made. Every little bug or gremlin I had was gone minus a CPS issue.

Not sure who you are asking but Ritter4.0 mentioned the PO's foot which implies to me the interior panel.

I thought about trying to fab up a plastic cover for my 85 but never got around to it. Some have suggested that the panel itself will disintegrate but this never happened with mine through it's 23 year life. Everything worked fine as long as I replaced the fuses every couple of years or so.

Referring to Jeepster 259's question.

Last edited:
Its a 1990 with the Renix 4.0. I checked and i left out a fuse for the flashers. Thanks for the info about the clutch master cylinder, thereis some old fluid residue from where it appears to have leaked before. And is it nessessary to waterproof either of the two (interior fuse box and computer) for water crossings stuff? Also would the fuse box make the tranny feel weaker, of is it the clutch slipping?
Thanks for all the info so far.

sounds like the clutch is slipping, it will happen once it gets hot if you have blown the front seal on the tranny, ask me how I know...

And is it nessessary to waterproof either of the two (interior fuse box and computer) for water crossings stuff?

Yes, you do need to waterproof your computer. ask me how i know! I fried my ECM with a deep water crossing/stuck. computer filled up with water and didn't seem to like it very much.

I put dielectric grease around all my fuse boxes too to try and keep the water out.

Back