• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

manual Tranny options???? please help!!!

t-frady

NAXJA Forum User
i was pulling my truck out om the mud tonight... thats when it happened the noise i didn't want to hear the tranny is gone so hers is my Question

1. what is the best tranny and easily swapped into an 89 xj it had the peuegot so i knew it was going to happen one day just didn't know it wouldn't be today and what baout the shafts i think they are 21 spline now if im not mistaken ill have to switch them out for stronger one's too what all do i need out of the doner
Thanks guys

Travis

im a newbie and i know it, but trying to learn SOOOO
how hard is it to change the input to a 23 and the driveshafts are easy i know how to do it its just a matter or UJ's

You'll have to remove and tear down the whole T case to get to the input. They you'll have to tear down another 23 spl T case or buy the input. You would be better off getting a 23 spl T case to go with the 23 spl trans.

As far as the driveshafts, they'll work wether its a 21 or 23 spl. T case.

okay so if i can at the local pull-a-part get a tranny and a t-case both 23 spline
with a warranty.... and the driveshaft your telling me i can put a 21 spline in a 23spline t-case, that will work i figured it wouldn't line up right

okay so if i can at the local pull-a-part get a tranny and a t-case both 23 spline
with a warranty.... and the driveshaft your telling me i can put a 21 spline in a 23spline t-case, that will work i figured it wouldn't line up right

The spline count where the rear DS goes doesnt matter. They are all the same. You're DS will work.

The spline count on the output shaft at the end of the transmission, where the transfer case bolts to, is where the difference is.

IIRC, it is 90 and up that have 23 spl outputs on the trans.

thanks for the help im sure ill be posting when i go looking at the scrap yard

Check your failed transmission.

If there is a longwise split, it's a Peugeot BA-10/5 and has a 21-spline output. Converting to an AX-15 is a simple job, but requires either changing the input gear on the transfer case (1990-1995 NP231 should work for you,) or replacing the transfer case entirely (1990-up AW4 or 1989-up AX-15, verify count on the earliest AW4.)

If the case is split into three sections front-to-back, it's an AX-15. You'll have "internal" hydraulics (the slave cylinder and throwout bearing are one unit. I think it sucks...) but you'll already have the 23-spline input.

Replace the Peugeot with the AX-15 - or an NV3550, if you can find one. Replace the AX-15 with an AX-15 or the NV3550 (2001 XJ, 2001-up TJ. Note that the TJ transfer case is "clocked" flatter than the XJ case tho - you'll either have to find the XJ transfer case adapter or "massage" your transmission tunnel to make it fit.)

If you can find on, a 1994-up AX-15 will have "external" hydraulics (slave cylinder and throwout bearing separate units,) and you can convert. You will need to get a new master cylinder as well, however - but I think it's worth it.

If you have the Peugeot (they switched in, I believe, AUG1989,) the AX-15 is a direct swap. There is a highly informative thread on it around here somewhere - a brief search should turn it up (Let this be THE Peugeot to AX-15 swap thread, I think it's called.) You may need to cut access holes in the frame rail to get nuts and washers in to secure the crossmember, and you'll have to extend the shifter hole in the transmission tunnel rearwards about three inches, but it's worth the time!

(Note that this assumes you have the 242ci I6. If you have the I4, you'll either have the four-speed AX-4 or the five-speed AX-5, 23-spline output, and it can be replaced with a like unit without any trouble.)

i do have the Peugeot and thanks for the info im sure ill have to get someone to help me though just so i can learn how to do it right and i have read that thread a few months ago when it popped up
BUT how can i tell the AW4 from the AX-15 and how much harder is it to make the 94+ AX-15 work with it having everything external
By the way i will prob get an 89+ AX-15 and the transfercase to go with it as well or are they that same as the one that i have now havent seen the answer to that anywhere

no...the ax-15 t/c input is 23 spline and your ba10 is 21 spline so you will either need the ax-15 t/c or convert your exhisting t/c to the 23 spline. im going through the exact same thing with a ba10 so i feel your pain. does anyone know if you can take out the input from a 23 spline t/c and swap it in to replace the 21 spline? or i dont suppose i can get lucky and they made 21 spline ax-15's did they?

yes you can
read the thread and i know they are different spline but are they the same T-case im just going to get both to make it easier cause what im getting it should bold up as long as i get the T-case and Tranny
Here's the other thread listed above
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=70388 i guess i need to read it again going to start now

The AW4 is an auto, the AX-15 and BA-10/5 are both manual gearboxes. The AW4 will have a flat sump pan on the bottom, while the other two do not.

Glad you've already sorted which manual you have - that simplifies thing.

Note that you can use the exact same clutch kit with the "internal" AX-15 as you use with the BA-10, which simplifies things on the swap. If you convert to the "external" AX-15 (1994-up,) you'll have to replace all of the hydraulics as well, as the "internal" and the Peugeot master won't connect to the slave. The "internal" AX-15 and BA-10 clutch kits differ only in the connection for the slave cylinder - the BA-10 uses a 1/4" SAE flared tubing fitting, while the AX-15 uses some variety of hydraulic quick-connect (it's plastic. I trust metal fittings more anyhow.)

If you've ever changed a clutch, you should be able to do this job. You'll just need a small angle grinder to open up the shifter hole in the transmission tunnel (as I mentioned. The AX-15 shifter is about 3" further back than the Peugeot. It will fit through the hole, but you won't be able to hit second, fourth, or reverse if you don't open up the hole) and possibly to make small "access ports" in the outside of the frame rails (if your nutserts are rusted out, you'll have to. Make a small port - about 2-1/2" long and 1" high, and use 3/8" bolts, nuts, and fender washers to secure the crossmember. Make sure to paint cut edges - primer is porous, and can still rust through.)

If you can, just grab the transfer case with the transmission to simplify things. If you can not, you can get an 'early' NP231 23-spline input gear - they changed the helix angle of the teeth on that gearset ever so slightly sometime around 1995, so make sure to specify the "early" set. If you use a later input gear in the early set - or the other way about - your first fluid change will see you draining the teeth on your input set along with your old fluid!

The NP231 operates in the same manner, no matter what year it is. If you can't get them all at once, the AW4 used a 23-spline output 1991-up, and I think the AX-4 and AX-5 (four-cylinder gearboxes) also used a 23-spline all the way up. The NP231 is the same between four-cylinder and six-cylinder models, just the transmissions are different (the four-cylinder box won't last long behind the I6. However, there are some reports of the AX-15 being bolted in behind the four-cylinder - making it Hell-for-strong in that application.)

sorry i remember reading that manual and auto thing on the tranny's Sorry
okay i think i have it and your big help on here and on the other thread Thanks
so ill get the tranny out if a 89-94 i dont want to do the external yet trying to keep it simple
t-case same vehicle and tranny mount
move the crossmember back
the shifter hole has to be enlarged towards the rear\
the ax-15 is an inch shorter so drive shafts may have to be shortened
and a pilot bushing from a 73 cj it is needed right???
anything else??????????
it should only cost me about 150-200 at pull-a-part
and sorry again for not stating its an I6 NON H.O. with command trac ill post this up on the other site too and some pics to help me and who ever needs it also
Thanks
Travis

sorry i remember reading that manual and auto thing on the tranny's Sorry
Just wanted to make sure you weren't missing anything

okay i think i have it and your big help on here and on the other thread Thanks
so ill get the tranny out if a 89-94 i dont want to do the external yet trying to keep it simple
Correct.

t-case same vehicle and tranny mount
move the crossmember back

Just get the tranny mount new. It's cheap enough. You can use the same crossmember - it just moves back a few inches.

the shifter hole has to be enlarged towards the rear

Correct.

the ax-15 is an inch shorter so drive shafts may have to be shortened

I was able to use the same driveshaft, I think. I could be wrong - I did have a donor vehicle, and it was a bit ago.

and a pilot bushing from a 73 cj it is needed right???

NB: The very earliest AX-15 used the same size pilot as the BA-10 (~5/8") Measure your pilot - if that's what it comes out to, you can also use the same bushing or bearing. If the pilot measures out to ~3/4", you'll need a pilot bearing/bushing from an early 1970's CJ-series with V8-304 and three-speed auto - it only costs a few bucks. But, measure your pilot on the donor first, so you don't end up with a bushing in your toolbox that you forget what it's for.

anything else??????????
it should only cost me about 150-200 at pull-a-part
and sorry again for not stating its an I6 NON H.O. with command trac ill post this up on the other site too and some pics to help me and who ever needs it also
Thanks
Travis

Doesn't matter what year your 242ci is - RENIX or ChryCo. The bellhousing is the same.

Back