• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headliner Removal

Search around, the question has been asked often with pictures. I took mine out for a while, but kind of considered the exposed metal, ribs, etc., to be a little unsafe as far as getting head cuts in a rough situation.

If it's sagging, you can just pull the material down and rip it out. Parts stores sell little screw in pins to hold it up. Looks like down stuffed tuck and roll, then.

Bare, the fiberglass backer board is ugly yellow and nasty looking (every time I glance at it.) Kits are available on the internet, about $30, come with a can of spray glue, fabric enough for liner and visors, and some advice. You get to remove all the plastic trim and do the work. Good springtime mod - not so fun in the winter. It looks like it could take more time for removal and installation than covering with fabric. The visors snap fit together.

Going bare metal is frigid in winter and loud year round. Think twice about it.

I rode in my 88 without the headliner material for about 6 years. (lol). It's true, looking at the backer board is not exactly the best "Chick Magnet".

It only took me a few hours to remove the board and replace the material. As TiRod says, you can get kits online. I bought mine from a local fabric shop (JoAnne's) and got the headliner spray adhesive at Pepboys. I even had enough to recover the visors.

Back