• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Compressor torque specs?

dan9891

NAXJA Forum User
Hello my a/c compressor in my 2000 4.0 cherokee had a bad bearing in it for the past 6 months, which was causing an eerie winding noise. I finally had the guts to pay the $200 to get a new compressor. This morning I started to replace it and I just got the old one out of the jeep. I was about to put the new one in and I was reading over the instructions telling me to torque the four bolts (compressor to bracket). The pamphlet I got has a list of over 20 compressors and I found mine on there. It says 30ft pounds of torque for the bolts. Does that sound right? It doesn't list the bolt that attaches the hoses to the compressor though. Does that bolt need to be torqued as well? If so what is it?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
tight is right...you don't need to pay attention to any fancy torque specs for that. Just don't overtighten and you're fine.

Otherwise, I hate to tell you, but you wasted a lot of money on buying a new compressor. I had a bad bearing on my compressor...I went to the junkyard and pulled a clutch pulley off a compressor there, took about 10 min. to install and cost $5. Otherwise, you can replace the bearing yourself which costs $40, but is a PITA. Or you can buy a used compressor off Ebay for $50.

If you can return it, I would and save the money.

Back