• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shop wants $850 an axle to regear....

Beatjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Rip off or no? I want to go from the stock 307s to 4.56 and I have D30 HP and C 8.25. My local 4x4 shop wants 850/axle including labor to regear them. Axles arent removed from the Jeep.

What do you guys think of this price? Ripoff or no?

around here the going rate is: you supply all the parts and remove axles from vehicle and shafts $200

Check around. Were you live makes a big difference in the price. Don't forget you will need a different carrier for the front dif too.

i paid 250, gave them everything except lube.

Holy crap.

I got my gears and install kits from www.reiderracing.com for $410 shipped. Gears were installed for $200 per axle and I just dropped the Jeep off and picked it up 2 days later. Don't forget to get a carrier for the front made for 3.73 and higher gears.

BTW, what tires are you going with? You have a manual? You sure you want 4.56's?

thats a huge rip off !! 4wheel parts wanted 850 for an install front and rear after i pulled the 3rd members (had a toyota p/u then) and i supplied the yukon gears/master installs, talked to some people and got a local mechanic to do them both for $200.

PORC down here does them for $250? now i think if you bring them the axles/parts

We get $500/diff (labor) in the rig (parts extra), including lube. $400/diff for an axle out of the rig, and $300 for a 3rd member.

Warranty (6 mo/6K miles) when using our parts (Yukon), pics of pattern (perfect patterns), complete and thorough job that's done right and doesn't blow up due to install error (although I've redone a lot of gear installs that had blown up due to other installers doing a crappy job...helps keep me in business:rolleyes:).

At the $500 rate, that's 6.5 hrs labor at $77/hr., and it takes me all of that to do it right and thorough (none of my gear installs have been pictured anyplace blown to pieces, or customers stuck with blown up stuff, so I must be doing something right). Any less and I can't keep the doors open.

Most shops out here are about 250-300$ labor per axle.

I'd get a few bids, with referrals. Have any buddy who've had gear work done? I've paid for good installs and crappy installs.

Here in Utah $250-300 per, plus parts is fairly common. Most good installers will charge more with the axles on the rig than loose, because it ties up a overhead lift that could be used for something else...... but I can find a shop that will charge $850 per axle for just labor, if it makes you feel any better?

Paying a fair price for a good job once is better that paying half the price and then having to have it redone.

I can't find a cheap place to do it either. So I'm swapping out my rear axle with one I found for $200 that's already geared right... and then I guess I'm learning how to do gearing this spring. I got most of the tools already. i just have to get the dial indicator with magnetic base... and my buddy has a torque wrench I can borrow. Harbor freight has the inch/lb torqe wrench for $20.

Everyone seems to be afraid to try it, but I've read this article 20+ times now and it really doesn't look that hard so hopefully I won't fail miserably.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/

Search around, whats the name of the place you are going to?

I know a local shop around here on the Cape charges around $750 per axle, and another shop probably doesn't know the difference between a rack and pinion and a ring and pinion.
I wouldn't go to either of those shops.

I know its a drive for you, but I would check out Bob (Bobnoxious above) at Baystate offroad. I have a few friends who have told me about the quality they have gotten.

We get $500/diff (labor) in the rig (parts extra), including lube. $400/diff for an axle out of the rig, and $300 for a 3rd member.

Warranty (6 mo/6K miles) when using our parts (Yukon), pics of pattern (perfect patterns), complete and thorough job that's done right and doesn't blow up due to install error (although I've redone a lot of gear installs that had blown up due to other installers doing a crappy job...helps keep me in business:rolleyes:).

At the $500 rate, that's 6.5 hrs labor at $77/hr., and it takes me all of that to do it right and thorough (none of my gear installs have been pictured anyplace blown to pieces, or customers stuck with blown up stuff, so I must be doing something right). Any less and I can't keep the doors open.

We are comparing apples to oranges here.
There is a lot of difference in the price you pay to some guy doing gears on weekends in his home garage compared to a reputable shop with tons of overhead cost.
A mechanic with long tern experience, a good reputation and a dependable warranty has got to be worth more than some guy doing this on the side IMO.

Costs vary greatly from state to state.
Massachusetts is an expensive state for a business to operate in, just like California. Many other states are much cheaper to operate in.

Do your homework when considering spending large amounts of cash.
How good is the guy?, does he do a lot of axles?, get references and make sure there is solid warranty in case things go bad.

If the cost upsets you too much, considering learning to do it yourself.
For what your local shop wants in labor, you could buy most of the tools necessary but be forewarned, there is a steep learning curve involved in obtaining the knowledge necessary for setting gears up that last a long time.

The OP stated 3.07 to 4.56. won't this also require a different carrier for both?

No,only the D30.

Back