• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new jeep

slapshot

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,
looks like my 90 laredo is going to be written off after my collision.

theirfor i'm looking at a new xj !!!

i'm wondering about what everyone's opinions about which year/ model/ t case is the optimal.

i'm currently looking at a 99 cherokee, auto tranny which is not ideal for me as i love driving standard, but i can live with auto. all the features seem to be there, minus fog lights, but i feel i can put on some that i really enjoy as opposed to some ome ones or something.

my biggest question is about the t-case. i know there are two kinds, one with the all wheel drive, and another with out. \
\

what are the pros and cons to both. i'm leaning towards the awd version if i can find one, but if i'm out of line please correct my thinking.

whatever jeep i end up with, i'm looking at putting on a 2" bb asap so any info about vibes with this set up regards to year would be helpful.

it is my understanding that 2000 and 2001 xj's come with different ignition systems, and the only disadvantage to the earlier models arises during deep water/ mud use. this shouldnt bee a problem for me as i rarely wheel in mud and or lakes, lol. also the waterproofing option could be an easy fix to this problem.

ne whoo, i've started to ramble, any input would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

i'm thinking about getting this rig:

here are the specs:

H.I.D Lights
Tinted windows
6 inch Skyjacker lift Slip yoke eliminator
Automatic transmission
Rubicon express shackles
Rear CV drive shaft from DSI
Dick Cepecs mud terrain tires
15x8 black rock crawler wheels
Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks
4Trac 4x4 system High and Lo
Back up camera installed for GPS
Sony CD/MP3 player with Ipod cable
Rubicon express control arm drop brackets
Fully wired for towing including Reese hitch with custom drop bar
Real leather front seat covers covering original cloth in mint condition
Rear leather seat (Original cloth seat in mint condition is also included

here is the pic:

anyone think this is a bad idea? i really like the set up . what should i look for? he has a re drop bracket. not really familiar with these/ the install.

i think the first upgrade would deff be a long arm kit.

Thats a nice jeep...if the price is right I would say buy it.......

Looks like he has the drop bracket in place.He probably has the DROP BRACKET BRACES that need to be installed yet.Not a big job by any means,I recommend following RE's directions while installing these though because they tend to be just a little tricky if not installed right(do a search).
Basically all the hardware needs to be loose and then certain bolts need to be tightened first before others so that the brace snugs up to the drop brackets

Last edited:
That is BEAUTIFOROUS! You're making us all drool. But after I studied it long enough, I saw something to question. Why are the "door bump strips" missing from the doors. I wouldn't have noticed it, but the one on the front fender is still there. Could it have been hit in the side and repaired?

looks good but definety needs the control arm drop bracket braces. with the control arm drop brackets, why go long arm?

what rear axle and gear ratio does it have?

he says its geared for daily use, which is good for me, i'm dont know the numbers, but i'm assuming he did a re gear after the lift. i think he just took off the trim pieces for the hell of it. they are off on the other side also. i'm seriously thinking about buying this thing, but i still have to give it a drive etc, it has 228k km's on it, think this is an issue? my 90 only had 200k kms on it, so its a little high. but its a pre 2000 xj, so i dont think header cracking etc is a problem.

anything else i should look for?

Look for:

Floor pan rust.
Heater core leaks.
Rain water leaks.
Weak radiator fan clutch.
Exhaust manifold cracks.
Any exterior lights that don't work.
Engine mount cracks/broken bolts.
Steering box to frame cracks.
Rusted brake lines.

Back